- advertisement -

Keeping Track of Pen Expiration

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by szofa12yrold, Nov 29, 2011.

1. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

I am wondering what you all do to keep track of when your non-disposable pen cartridges/insulin expires. When I used the disposable pens I just wrote the open date and expiration date(28 days) on the pen with a sharpie. It faded after time but I could still read it enough. But what to do about the non-disposable pens-my Novopen Jr. aside from marking the date on the calendar?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Novolog works longer than the expiration date. No way would I change Novolog cartridges after a month.
    Lantus is the only insulin I've used where it mattered that it went bad after a month, and I write in my calendar when I open a new vial or pen of Lantus. On the Lantus vials, I used to sometimes write a label with the date and put in on there. Since I switched to the pens, I don't worry about it as much, because I take 8-11u Lantus per day and there's 300 units in a pen so at worst I would use the pen for 35 days. With the vial it was a bigger issue because the vials contain 1000 units (or more really- there's usually a little more than than it says).