- advertisement -

Keeping our children safe/know who your neighbors are

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Becky Stevens mom, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ive been heart broken over what happened to that sweet little girl in Florida. Her name was Somer Thompson, she was 7. Our kids should be able to walk home from school and be safe!!!!:mad: :(

I want all my CWD friends to know their neighbors. In the USA there is the registered sex offenders list for every state. You can find it by googling your state. There will be a list of offenders and where they live. Some states include what the offense was.

These are some good links with ideas for keeping our kids safe including: Walking to and from school, stranger danger, what to do if you get lost. etc

http://www.essortment.com/all/childrensafety_rimx.htm

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?PageId=713

http://www.kidsave.com/child_safety_information.html

My prayers are with Somer's family at this time

2. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I think knowing your neighbors is always a good idea. It seems like we are all on our own little islands these days. Instead of just looking at registries for bad guys, throw a block party and get to know the people you live near.

I'm determined to bring back the days where a kid could ride a bike around the block, and know by name the people in all the houses on that block.

That way if someone sees your child talking to someone they don't know, the neighbor won't feel funny about stepping in.

3. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

jess and i live in the same city where the somer thompson thing occured, and it was incredibly sad :( she's terrified to let ella out of her sight now, kids need to be safe.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Also something to keep in mind is that unfortunately, kids are much more likely to be molested or abducted by a "friend", teacher, coach, or family member than the sex offender down the street. :(

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

The web news is saying they have ruled out the sex offenders in her area, now what:(:confused:

7. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I just read that the 9 year old that went missing from Missouri was found dead in the woods by her house. They have charged a teenage boy with her murder. This is so damn sad.

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

I do know my neighbors well but was curious so checked this out. Sex offender lives less than 2 miles away. Probably drives down my road. This freaks me out!

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

This is a good tool to have, but I think it would be hard to find ANY neighborhood that is clear. Which it is why it is a good idea to get to know your neighbors.

And, as someone else mentioned, most children are assaulted by someone they know and trust.

Also, good to remember that statistically, there aren't any more "bad guys" out there than there were 30 years ago. There is just much more media coverage about it. So don't put your kids in a bubble, just teach them to be strong and know how to handle themselves. And parents should use common sense.

Don't just trust talking to your kids on cell phones when they say they are going to Johnny's house. Make sure you talk to the parent of your child's friends as well.