advertisement

Just wondering? Does Make A Wish consider Type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carseatmama, Feb 24, 2011.

1. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

Well said...I agree

2. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

yea, he does deserve a wish. All our kids deserve a wish. I donate money and some time to this, and it doesnt bother me a bit that a type 1 child would get a wish. Good for them. My friends son has gotten a wish. He has some terrible intestinal disease (not exactly life threatening) and it sucks. Now, he is 11 and had a bag on his side becouse they have taken most of the large intestine out of him. The hope is, someday to re-connect. They got to fly to disney land for a week.

I would adore having a wish done for matt. He would like a dog. He has heard of the alert dogs, and would want one. We at this time, cannot afford one. (upkeep yes, the getting the dog, no) He HATES the CGM- yes, we have that, and he refuses to wear it. (whole nother debate we could rabble around in, however, matt is almost 12 and in charge to a huge point of his body, sorry if others disagree...) Thing is for matt, he can feel the lows, when they hit the 60s, however, he has no clue what so ever when he is high. Tells me he doesnt feel any different like others say thier children do here.

but then again... like I said, I dont care how MAW spends thier money and on who. As long as the end result is a smiling happy child, thats all I need for my buck.

3. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

4. JessW

JessW New Member

My daughter was diagnosed at 10 with Type 1 and it was the most scariest experience my whole family went through. She was DKA and very close to losing her life!! It has completely turned our lives upside down! Now that we are getting it under control it has gotten better but what those don't know or remember is how many time a T1 has to poke their poor little fingers a day and the overwhelming amount of shots they have to do every day! Learning a whole new way of living life counting carbs and discarding their favorite foods from everyday eating! T1 patients really do have to change life styles, sacrifice alot, and have to always check their sugar levels and learn to get shots multiple times daily! Not that I want to have my child think she is on the verge of death or going to die but at the same time I do want her to know if she doesn't take care of her diabetes it is very possible as she has already experienced. They're many terminal illnesses that have to do the life changing steps to keep their illnesses from causing death just like T1 maybe not the same life changes but should fall under same category in my opinion... T1 can cause death if not taken care of or caught in time before being diagnosed!!! Just my opinion

5. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My older daughter qualified because of her disease, which was most definitely terminal and had not treatment and no cure. She passed away when she was almost 12 after she had gone from a normal developing three year old to a child who was blind, had intractable seizures, was tube fed and could not even sit up or even smile. We went on a MAW trip with her thankfully before she had lost all of her vision.

My younger daughter has Type 1. She is 12 and I think even she realizes that her Type 1 isn't really what they have in mind for Make A Wish. Does T1 suck? Yes. I would take it away from her in a minute if I could, but it really doesn't dramatically alter her or our lives life like Batten Disease did for her sister.

rgcainmd likes this.