advertisement

Just wondering? Does Make A Wish consider Type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carseatmama, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Diana

Diana Approved members

I don't think diabetes should automatically qualify for MAW, but I also don't think it should automatically be excluded either. I think it most definitely depends on individual circumstances.

I can't imagine using MAW for my son, but I am aware of other families affected by diabetes that I would wholeheartedly endorse getting a wish. Just because we are coping pretty well, it doesn't mean everyone else is.

Diabetes is a pain, and it is hard and relentless and aggravating, but I can't say that my son is really suffering a great deal. Really, I think he has it pretty good, and I think he would tell you the same thing. But some families and kids really are suffering with diabetes - both physically and emotionally - and I would be happy if they got a wish.

2. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I have a friend who's child (grade 4) got burned in an accident when he was playing with fire. He and his friend were involved. The boy's leg will be scarred for life. BUT I was shocked when the Make a Wish Foundation contacted him to go to Disneyland. They also invited the child who was with him when they accidentally started the fire. Make a Wish invite him too. The parents of the boy not hurt said he wasn't hurt but MAW said they give this out trips to lots of kids without injuries or illnesses because they aren't getting enough requests. This was in Canada. I found it disconcerting to say the least as these kids are being rewarded for getting into trouble and it was not life threatening. So I don't see how diabetes wouldn't be included. It definetely isn't only for terminal children although I think it should be -or at least kids with a very limited lifestyle caused by a disease. JMO:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm kinda in the camp of I think MaW should be focused on terminal patients. I would never imagine asking for my T1 child. We all have hard lives - whether its from T1 or divorce or financial struggles or any number of things - I think MaW should be focused on the last precious memories for a family.

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'm with the group that was under the impression MAW was for kids with terminal illnesses. One last fun thing for them and their family before they passed away. I couldn't imagine asking them if Ashleigh could have a wish based on the fact that she has T1.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

All I can say is "Ditto".

6. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I would throw MAW for T1 in with the handicap parking debate :rolleyes: Just my opinion obviously.

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

While I wouldn't accept a trip to Disney from MAW for dd's D, I would accept a week at D camp. This is something we just can't afford right now, even though on paper it looks like we make a lot of money and wouldn't qualify for any aid (and wouldn't feel right taking it), in reality, our expenses and our children's needs make spending money on D camp almost a frivolous expense--it's a shame too b/c I really get spendy regarding anything that will make D even a tiny bit "fun." :) But D camp in NJ cost a fortune.

I guess my point it that it should depend on the kid, the family's circumstances and the wish. If they don't have enough requests and want to expand, I'd ask for a week at D camp for my 8 yr old. anybody from MAW reading this? :p

8. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

That's a great idea -or perhaps JDRF could send some kids to camp.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I think ADA offers camp scholarships

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The camp my son attends definitely has scholarships (partial) and then they let us pay out the remainder over the rest of the year, it was quite affordable that way. Wouldn't hurt to ask, you never know. I NEEDED my son to go to camp last year (emotionally for him) and we were not in a place to come up with that type of cash, similarly on paper we look OK but our reality is different...and they qualified us for some scholarship which I happily accepted. They will forever be my charity of choice when our finances are stronger and I hope to sponsor kids in the future, so accepting now doesn't mean you aren't giving back in the future, you know?

Many Lion's Clubs have diabetes camps as well, and they definitely have scholarships.

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I think just because MAW used to be for terminally ill kids doesn't mean it still is. It is what it is and if they now grant wishes to kids with chronic diseases then I surely think it is because they have the funds to do so. I doubt that they would do it if there was any chance at all that granting a wish to a chronically ill child would take away a wish from a terminally ill child.

I suppose it is possible though, because funding probably goes up and down with the economy. I don't want a wish for Jacob if there is even the REMOTEST chance that it would cost a terminally ill child a wish, so I have mixed feelings.

Jacob is a normal kid but there are PLENTY of things D related that just suck for him. I could make a list pretty easily. So does he deserve a wish from MAW? You tell me.:confused:

12. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Make-A-Wish is not just for kids w/ terminal illnesses - it's for kids with life threatening conditions - cancers, CF, epilepsy, etc. Make a Wish determines whether or not your child qualifies, and ANY child that qualifies is eligible to get their wish granted. It's not a competition of who is "sicker" - if you qualify, you get a wish - that doesn't take a wish away from a "more" or "less" sick kid. Many kids who get a wish granted go on to lead "normal" and happy lives - my cousin was diagnosed w/ ALL when he was 3 - he's now 25. Type 1 is certainly treatable, but I would also say that it is life threatening, particularly on both ends of the treatment spectrum - those who tightly "control" and those who are very lax about treatment. It's in the back of my head all the time - what if she goes low and I don't catch it? I've gone into her room at night many a time, just to watch her breathe, and check CGM or a finger. We lost a babysitter with type 1 to a car accident, presumably brought on by a low. Does dd need to know these details right now? No, but she does understand that we need to keep her bg in a "safe" range so that she doesn't pass out or experience problems down the road. These kids go through so much on a daily basis, and they NEVER get a break from it, and most of them deal with it better than I ever would. So, if my daughter was offered a wish would I accept for her? You betcha!!

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Since there cannot be infinite funding, taking a "wish", by definition, takes one away from some other applicant.

14. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

So is there a backlog of applicants and not enough funding for all of them? If that is the case then I would not take a wish for Jacob because it could mean that someone else might not get their wish or may pass away waiting. I wouldn't want that.

On the other hand, if there is a surplus of funding with enough funding to supply wishes for all who meet the criteria to get a wish, then I would CONSIDER accepting a wish for Jacob, but I would have to really think it over.

I would first want to know that every effort has been made to grant a wish to any terminally ill child who wants one. If there is surplus funding, there must be some way to let all parents of terminally ill children know that. I would hate to think that some might not be asking for a wish because they assume that funding is very limited and they probably won't get a wish and they don't want to get their child's hopes up.

15. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

No, this isn't true. When Morgan got his wish I asked about this because I did not want to take away from a child that might not live long when Morgan's lifespan is unknown, and they said that every child that is referred gets a wish. There is not infinite funding, but there are not an infinite number of kids that qualify. If a child qualifies MAW finds a way to grant the wish.

16. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

They don't want to have a surplus at the end of their fiscal year. That would give donors the idea that if MAW has more than enough $ maybe they should donate their money elsewhere. MAW is going to try everything it can to spend it's donations.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm glad that Mogan got his wish.:cwds:

It's a first, for me, to hear of a charitable organization to have more resources than demand for their services. It's testament to their fund raising skill, peoples generosity, or perhaps a generous endowment?

Either way, thanks for setting me straight about how they work. Live and learn;)

18. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I would not sign Amanda up for MAW..and heres why...as you all know I am battling stage 4 Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and went through many months of chemotherapy..and although I am doing well and still in treatment..I have seen firsthand what terminal is and what is not..Now if there was an adult MAW ...ha ha..:)

19. jules12

jules12 Approved members

There are other organizations out there that provide "wishes" for children with chronic illineses. MAW has generally been more for terminally ill. Also, wishes are not always trips to disney world but could be tickets to a professional baseball or football game, a dog, a play house, a band instrument, meeting a famous person, etc. From what I know about these organizations, it is the child's wish (not the parents) so therefore, it could be anything. The child has to communicate what they really want.

The foundation in our area also does events for families throughout the year like picnics, fishing, movies, etc. to give families a break or an opportunity to get out and do something they might not be able to afford due to health problems etc. They show the different wishes or events on the local news station periodically.

20. Little Diabetic Dude

Little Diabetic Dude Approved members

I am seeing both sides of the coin here we in Australia have a make a wish in our children's hospital where my son attends his 3 mthly checkups.
    As I sit here and contemplate the life I would like for my son and what could actually happen I really do become very scared. I realise there are many children worse off than him but as his parent I know if he was old enough ( he is 3)to answer me and ask for a wish I know it would be that he wants parents that understand him and his illness and do everything they can to make his time with us worthwhile and to keep him safe. My duty is to do the best to care for him and I do, like all of you who do all you can for your T1.
    So would I ask MAW for a wish for my son I would say no and give him all he needs off my own back.MAW is a lovely gesture but it is just that and shouldn't be expected.
    My son has a long happy life ahead of him and I expetc that he will do everything and anything his 3 siblings do. He has a illness attached to him that is manageable and while it can be life threadtening such developments are coming thick and fast. I feel in a short time T1 will be a thing of the past I will live for that day.I don't wish for anything but a cure for this illness, I would give up every material want I have to give him that. So instead of wanting a wish for my child, as a family we support all the fundraising associated with type 1 so that one day all of the T1 sufferers can get their wish not just one.