advertisement

Just wondering? Does Make A Wish consider Type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carseatmama, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

life threatening? Has anyone ever sighned thier child up for this?

2. MichS

MichS Approved members

I'm pretty sure it qualifies. There has been much debate on here, but I think you just need a referral from a dr. or nurse, or something like that. I'm not sure if it is the same with Make a Wish and the Children's wish foundation, but I've seen them give wishes to all kinds of diseases that "seem" less life threatening. However, I say that cautiously, as diabetes can "seem" to be not life threatening as well. Look into it.

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I'd say yes. :)

(eta: I'd say yes, they do CONSIDER it. Which is the answer to your question. By that I don't mean that I would do it, that I think it's a good use of the program, or it's intent.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  4. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

You can ask your local organization. Some do consider it, some don't, preferring to grant wishes to those in more dire situations, such as uncurable cancer or a rare disease with no cure and a predicted very short life span.

5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

My youngest has had a wish granted for his disease, not T1.

6. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I self referred for Make a Wish and recieved a letter back that was gracious but basically said Type 1 did not qualify. I think we need a Make a Wish for our kids. They go through so much. I guess summer diabetes camp is a special thing for our kids but I was still disappointed about their decision on that.

7. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

Well apparently my girls do not have a life threatening medical condition:confused::confused:
    Make A Wish of Iowa does not think so anyway.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Whether this is correct or not, in my mind, I always felt that the MAW foundation was for terminally ill kids, to grant them one final wish before they died. That is a great thing, in my opinion, and it doesn't bother me at all that they don't include Type 1. I plan for my daughter to live a long, happy life, filled with many exciting experiences.

Yes, she does have more burdens to bear than a child who doesn't have diabetes, but for all intents and purposes, she can do everything any other kid can do. I think she would be mortified if I even brought up the idea of applying to MAW. That said, if someone feels inclined to do that for their child, they should go for it and not care about what I or anyone else would do.

rgcainmd and MEVsmom like this.
  9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I would be very concerned about the image you are presenting to your child by suggesting that they are in need of help from the Make A Wish Foundation. Type 1 Diabetes is scary and difficult, and can be life threatening, but not in the same way as a terminal illness. As a person with diabetes I think it is so important for parents (and other caregivers) to make a child with diabetes feel like they are safe (not at immediate risk of death) and able to live a happy and healthy life despite the challenges of diabetes.

rgcainmd likes this.
  10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Saved me some typing. This describes my feelings exactly.

rgcainmd likes this.
  11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Smart gal, that Emma ;)

rgcainmd likes this.
  12. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

It was always my assumption (could be wrong) that MAW was for children who were terminal. But maybe I'm not right on that. However, I would never want to portray my daughter's T1 as being anything close to a dying child with a terminal illness. My 11 year old niece has stage 4 Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. While T1 sucks and of course is very serious and requires constant care and thought, it does not compare to the anguish and horror my sister is going through with my niece. My daughter has a full lifetime ahead of her.

rgcainmd likes this.
  13. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I'm with Christopher. I feel it's for those with terminal type illnesses. Our kids can do the same things other kids can do and while it's certainly possible that they may live a few years less than others, for the most part they will live until they are old and gray. No need to rush and do everything now in childhood, plenty of time for all of their dreams to come true.

Yes things may be a little (sometimes a lot) harder but everyone has some sort of burden in life don't we?

rgcainmd likes this.
  14. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

my feelings exactly....well said.

rgcainmd likes this.
  15. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

MAW is not just for terminally ill children and really the misconception of that is heart breaking. Most families do a MAW after their child is cured from cancer or for JRA and really any number of thing. The wish is mainly for the wish child but the focus is on the whole family. When your child doesn't have a typical childhood, everyone is affected. Nick almost died from a blood infection at 8 months old, to say that he is better and we all moved on from it is so far from the truth. At the time, my middle son had to go to therapy to deal with it all and his Wish trip was amazing (he had just turned 6) the whole family really deserved that stress free vacation and to go to a place like Give Kids the World was amazing.. to be surrounded by 100 other families who "get it" nothing like it in the world.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So if a family loses a home in a house fire should they get a wish? Or if the family income is lost to long term unemployment, a wish then? Or if a parent is deployed overseas? How about if parents divorce? Or mom goes into rehab? :confused:

There is plenty of pain and stress out there. I'm happy to leave Make A Wish to families who are spending their last time together as family.

rgcainmd likes this.
  17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

While it is true that MAW is not just for terminally ill children, it is for children with illnesses more severe than T1 diabetes. My understanding is that each chapter evaluates cases individually and that most chapters do not consider T1 a qualifying illness. I agree with that assessment.

rgcainmd likes this.
  18. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

Our neighbor's daughter died at age 14 from a rare form of ovarian cancer. Fought long and hard for 10 months. Her wish was in the process of being granted when she passed away. Having gone though that experience with our friends, I am very glad my son does not "qualify" for Make a Wish. We all watched their daughter die; we are not watching my son die. I feel extremely blessed for that difference.

MAW do terrific work and, like all charitable groups, have their limits of what they do/don't cover. If they didn't limit their grantees, they wouldn't be able to do the work they do.

Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17

19. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

I would never do a MAW for my daughter. I would not want to take that spot for a child who was not going to make it and wanted something special. D sucks everyday and I wish we had never heard of the word but right now my daughter is being a normal teenager and having the time of her life and I cant imagine even suggesting MAW to her. I think that would just slam her down and make her wonder if I knew something she didnt. We have close friends who have had to do it for their kids....precious memories because that is all they have left...memories..

rgcainmd likes this.
  20. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

never even thought about signing up for make a wish.........
    But- how about signing up for a scholarship to a "CWD Friends for Life Conference" ? It would be great for the whole family !