- advertisement -

Just wanted to say hi.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vallecito93, Oct 24, 2007.

1. vallecito93

vallecito93 Approved members

I am new to the forum and wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My DD was dx in May of 07 and she is 5 years old. She is the first one in our family so it is still foreign to us. I have read many of your posts and it is so comforting to know I am not the only one out there. Autumn is doing amazing. I think it is I that is still having a hard time with it. I welcome and appreciate any advice! I hope you all have a great day.

2. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Hi Audrey, and welcome. I hope you continue to find comfort, support, and advise here. It's a great place to meet people who truly understand what we live with.

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us! Sorry to hear your DD was diagnosed!
    I felt the same way you do, kids are more excepting than we are. It just takes some time. The information alone can make your head spin. Hang in there! Ask questions if you need to, nothing is EVER a stupid question here. Remember what works for one might not work for you.

I'm assuming your on MDI (multiple daily injections)? Do you have the 1/2 unit marking syringes? You might have to ask your pharmacy to order them for you, it's a lot better than guessing.

I don't know how long you've been lurking before posting so I apologize if I'm repeating what you've already read. Have you purchased a digital scale to weigh food? I'm a big fan of the Salter Scale, if you have any questions just ask.

4. vallecito93

HI, yes we are on MDI and use those syringes. No I haven't gotten a scale yet. I still count the carbs but we are not dosing her yet for food. She gets 7 U of NPH in the a.m. and 2 U of Lantus at p.m. We use the humalog at lunch when needed. The dr. says she is still in her honeymoon. I am not sure though. She is all over the board sometimes. It is a big guessing game. One day she can have an apple for snack and is fine and then the next time it sends her really high. Thanks again.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

There are a couple of other parents here on the NPH regimen...they could probably give you great info about how to make it work. If you find that NPH just isn't working, talk to your endo about switching treatments to MDI, Lantus for long-acting and Novolog (or equiv) for almost every bite she eats...l

6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

When you start needing to dose for food, definitely look into switching to Lantus/'Log. It makes life sooo much more flexible and easier. No nasty NPH peaks or food restrictions!

7. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Welcome Audrey and Autumn!! Glad you found us!!

8. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Hi Audry/Autumn. I'm new too to CWD. :) We've been down this road for 3 yrs now with the diabetes but it took me that long to find this site! this place is great.

9. Livie's Mom

Livie's Mom Approved members

I just wanted to say "Welcome". I'm still new here but my dd was dx in July. I have learned so much from being here. Hope you do too!!

10. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Hello Audrey! Happy to see another Coloradoan here! There are several of us now (I live in Highlands Ranch)! Welcome to the forums! Do you go to the Barbara Davis Center? When my daughter was dx'd at 4 years old she was on Lantus/Humalog/NPH regimen. Similar to what you are using now (only you're not using the Huma/Nova-log as routinely yet). We would use NPH in the morning to cover her for lunch/afternoon at school. We used this regimen for several years and it worked relatively well for us.

Welcome aboard! There are plenty of knowledgeable folks around here, so feel free to jump in and ask questions whenever you have them!

11. vallecito93

Thanks everyone for the welcome! We haven't been to the BDC yet but Dr. Walhraven comes down here twice a year and see's everyone in our area (durango). As I read more from everyone I am very impressed.

Miss Behave it is good to see that life does go on and you are in complete control of your diabetes. I hope I can teach Autumn what she needs to know by the time she is 18.

The other amazing thing is that there are people from all over the world that are on the forum. I think that is so cool. I am not a big blogger, still learning. Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  12. Scotty

Scotty Approved members

Hi Audrey and welcome. You have found a great place with lots of knowledgable and understanding people.

13. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Hi Audrey, just stopping by your thread to say "welcome" too! My "child" is actually an adult (doesn't seem like it LOL) and off to college. We're fairly new at this too - just over a year from diagnosis - and I am still learning a lot here too. Awesome place with awesome people here. Glad you found CWD!!! :cwds:

14. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Welcome, Audrey!

15. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hi

Welcome. We are nearly at the year mark. Gosh time flies when you're stressed! Tyler is on MDI using NPH, Actrapid and Novorapid (not sure of the US names for them). It's working for us quite well. Luckily for Tyler I am the anal sort of mum that wants to do it all properly so we weigh everything and count everything. Gets tiring but is good for the maths ability! (We do relax at parties and special occasions - within reason of course).
    Hope to hear more from you.

16. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Hi Audrey!! Welcome to CWD:cwds: I like what AbbeyDabbyDoo said, there are NO stupid questions. We are all here for each other. We have Good Days and Bad Days. There is so much to learn, read what you can there are alot of good books out there. One of my fav's is written by a D mom

"The Everything Parents Guide to Children with Juvenile Diabetes". by Moira McCarthy

17. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Dr. Walravens used to be our doc. He's a nice guy. We don't see him anymore, but he still pops in to say hi to us whenever he sees us. He seems to keep up with all the latest information about the management of D. Durango is gorgeous! Lucky you!