advertisement

Just saw the most DISGUSTING thing on "The View"

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by DsMom, May 12, 2011.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

This gets me, too. What 3 year old really even knows what a pageant IS unless they are told?? And, okay, if they were just little girls in their Garanimals and pigtails doing cartwheels on stage...I still wouldn't like the judging part, but THAT is a little girl pageant. The way the sexualize these children is so disturbing. The clothes, the dancing...WHAT can these parents be thinking to make that okay in their minds? I won't let my 11 year old wear those short with words on the butts (not that she's asked)--I never get why parents allow that either...who wants perverts looking at their daughter's butts (more than they might already)??? But these parents are essentially doing the same thing to their toddlers! AArghh!

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Here is the link to her before after pictures:

http://www.littlebabyface.org/blogart/SamanthaShaw.jpg

They no longer have her picture by the story, likely because they want people to think this surgery is a good thing and the picture makes that far from clear.

You will notice this is not correcting a genetic disorder, this is cosmetic and barely that. In fact, to me the new picture makes the job look botched. This poor little girl's ears don't even stick out as much as our President's, and he's done just fine.

So to be clear, correcting a problem with a body's function (for example, giving insulin to correct a broken pancreas) is, of course, reasonable. But giving a child surgery to change her appearance because she does not look like someone else wants her to look, a totally arbitrary standard that has nothing to do with health or function, is sick. Particularly at the age of 7.

I'm sorry if I seemed unclear and I sure don't want to step on a raw nerve, but surely you don't see me as saying surgery to correct, for example, a cleft palate is the same thing as botoxing for a pagaent? Because I noted this story about a kid getting surgery because her mom thought her ears tipped a little too far forward?

I don't want to be a big baby about it, but it makes me sad to think folks here can figure I'm being judgmental about reasonable corrective cosmetic surgery in kids. :(

To the person I quoted, sorry your kid has had a hard row to hoe. Hope you find good solutions and he has a terrific life.:)

3. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I agree. I dated a man a few years ago who has custody of his daughters. One of his girls wanted to be in a pageant so he let her, I guess it was something he and his 2nd wife did together with their daughters. At this time his girl was 13 and had been doing this for years. But we sat through the toddler divisions. It's an all day event,with kids wearing things they shouldn't wear, and dancing in ways they should not dance. And it's HORRIBLE to sit through if you're not into it. HORRIBLE! He started making comments to my daughter about how much fun his daughter was having, and suggesting she ask me to sign her up. I would NEVER put my daughter in a pageant! NEVER! And I cannot believe any of those toddlers came to their mothers and asked to be spray tanned and pin curled so they could spend all day not playing like normal kids. And noone is ever going to believe this little girl asked for botox. I showed this story to my daughter yesterday because she happens to be writing a report on girls and "Pressure to be perfect". She's using part of it for her report.

ETA this guy was not the least bit abusive to his girls. And none of them are spray tanned. He's a great dad, and dose these things to try to improve their self esteem and to try for scholarships that are offered. I just personally don't think pageants are a way to improve self esteem.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

That's a great topic for girls that age! Something similar should be a required research essay for preteen girls at all schools!

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

HA HA HA HA!!!! I believe you mean caulk dear;):D

6. MamaBear

I think it's perfect for a 13 year old. This is for her HS language arts class. They had to pick their own topic, but it had to be a "social issue". She's using this botox thing as well as several articles on eating disorders,cutting and other issues teens deal with while striving to be what they view as "perfect". I think mothers like this botox mom are creating so many problems that their children will need therapy for later. So sad.

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I can no longer tell if we're talking about pageants or cock.

8. MamaBear

LOL that was just WRONG!

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

HAHA.. I know. truly. I do.

it's also wrong that I keep seeing the thread titled "sticky stuff removal" and in my head think it should be merged with this one....

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

If you follow your train of thought, then you shouldn't put braces on kids either. I'm sure lots of kids have been made fun of for buck teeth. Parents would never hesitate to put braces on their kids for that.

Correcting my son's ears would be considered cosmetic because it does nothing to help hearing or anything like that. But I would still do it. Just like he will get braces to correct his underbite.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Caulk is sticky? I mean, it's kind of gooey, but in my experience it just sort of dries up and flakes off.

Oh. Wait a minute....

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Did.
    You look.
    At the picture?

Sure, it's a slippery slope. I probably wouldn't put braces on some kids that get them, others I would.

This is surgery. General anesthesia. Irreversible. In a seven year old. We don't even put braces on seven year olds.

I.
    Don't.
    Know.
    Your.
    Son.

I'm.
    Not.
    Judging.
    You.

But I will say that I think it's a perfectly good rule to say that kids should not have surgery to change how they look just because it doesn't fit a parental image of perfection. If you're doing that, yeah, I guess I'd say that's wrong, but I certainly don't know that that's what you're doing. If you're not doing that, I don't have a beef with you, you don't have a beef with me.

13. MamaBear

EEEWWWW.

But thanks. I've been sitting here procrastinating instead of getting to work. Now I'm leaving this thread for work!

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Pssst, Lisa. Join our conversation. Way less sticky...um, less prickly...um, less potential for offense...um, oh hell, it's just more fun.

15. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I can never seem to get it to work right, it will either just sit there and do nothing or all comes out when I dont want it to yet;)

To the OP, beg pardon for the hijack:cwds:

16. Emilyk1054

Emilyk1054 Approved members

So, here I go... stepping into the ring to be stoned.

As a lot of you know, my daughter has been doing pageants since she was born. Its something we got into, I dont know how... just did.
    We do glitz, we do tan, don't need fake hair, dont use fake eye lashes, or fake teeth.
    Some "pageant moms" don't understand glitz when they add FAKE things children do not need... but thats besides the point.
    Of course there is more to her than pageants. SHe also skateboards, soccer and jiu jitsu.

I have been involved in pageants for most of my life, it is my business. I am a pageant director myself.
    My system being 'Crowns For A Cure'.. this yr alone I have raised over $15,000 for JDRF and Faustmann lab.

But the point is, I have NEVER, NEVER EVER, EVER EVER heard of a pageant child being injected with botox! This woman is a complete nut and just wanted to be on TV
    This also might sound shady and awful but in the today show they show the child in her "beauty dress" and makeup... I can tell by looking at them they are NOT experienced in pageants. The dress is NOTHING like a true beauty dress and she has bright green eyeshadow up to her eyebrows.

Are some pageant moms completely nuts? Of course.. but so are some soccer moms making their kids practice for hours, or cheer moms making their kids do tumbles theyre not ready for, or any sport or hobby can have parents that take it TOO far.
    But do you ever seen the good pageant moms on tv? Of course not, doesn't make for good tv. Brooke was followed for Toddlers and Tiaras but our show was cut from the season bc we werent nuts enough (thank god) and showing the stuggles a D child goes through during a day wasnt exciting enough. I thought they would be all about the HIGH fits but guess not...

But, there it was... so let the stoning begin. Just had to get my 2 cents in there...

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Hey, you guys had me at when I opened up page 5 and saw the post glaring at me from the top of my tiny screen.

Thanks -- I do find it hilarious that in this thread I'm the one who has offended!

Have a ball, gals (I swear, swear, swear I honestly typed that without even thinking about it -- the power of the subconscioius!)

18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

It's really hard not to take things as puns, the way this thread is going, LOL.

See?;)

19. MamaBear

lmao

:d:d

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I know you are new here and all, but you should know.. that this type of thing can break out in any thread at any time.. I use spell check, a LOT. :D

love it! lol