- advertisement -

Just found out

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by Connie2011, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Connie2011

Connie2011 New Member

I just found out I am type two and it scares me I do not test like I should I want to know what this heat can do to diabetics. When I go out in this heat I automatically get tired and I feel sick in the stomach, I get dizzy should I go to the hospital when feeling like that.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

What is your blood glucose when this happens? Also, what treatment are you on (insulin and some other diabetes medications will put you at risk of low blood glucose, whereas a treatment of diet and exercise doesn't cause lows)?

Sorry about the diagnosis. Most people on this website have type 1, including myself, but there are a couple of people with type 2 here on a regular basis.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I think that diabetes shouldn't affect how the body deals with heat. I would make sure you are hydrated before going outside. I wouldn't go to the hospital for being dizzy, but you may wish to ask your doctor the next time you see him as there may be something else involved here.

It might be interesting to you to check your sugar to see if it is out of range prior to going outside.

Do you feel better once you get out of the sun?

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I agree with this. The only reasons I can imagine heat could affect things is:

1) If she's on insulin, BG could drop in the heat.

2) If she's high, she could be dehydrated and the heat could exacerbate that.

3) If there's something else going on when she is in the heat which could cause a high (or a low, if she's on insulin / other D medication). An example would be that someone may get hayfever when they go outside, and that could cause a high BG.

I think the third option is the least likely.

Also, another question to Connie, how did you react to the heat before you were diagnosed?