- advertisement -

Just changed site and gosh I forgot to change batteries again

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

I said to myself during The site change previous to today's that I would replace the battery since it was down a bar, and of course I forgot, again. I think it's been down one bar for over a week. We haven't been pumping long enough to be really familiar with how long battery will last when down one bar. Any ideas? Would I be chancing the battery going dead tomorrow during school hours. I think I read that I should have a day after hearing first alarm. Is this correct?

2. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

On medtronic when it alarms the first time low battery I believe you have 24 hours. They(medtronic) told us not to replace battery until that sensor goes off, something to do with trouble shooting down the road

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We're podders, so I can change the battery anytime without interrupting basal delivery. I'm really asking out of curiosity: do you have to do all that rewinding/priming stuff with tubed pumps when you change the battery?

4. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Not when u change the battery. But every site change of course..

5. ashtensmom

Yes with animas you have to rewind, load, and prime. That, I know because I had to read up on it (again) in anticipation of changing the battery. I have changed batteries before, but I am admitting I am a slow learner regarding this for some reason. :rolleyes:

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You ought to change the battery when needed. It doesn't have to be at a site change. The pump is quite annoying in the alarms when it goes down to 1 bar.

Why do you think the battery can only be changed when the site is changed? You disconnect, replace the battery, rewind, load and prime. Not much to it.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Just change the battery now - no biggy at all. ETA: I didn't realize that you had to reprime - you don't with minimed - but 2 minutes of work is worth not worrying about it all night and day.

8. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Slow learner here too! :rolleyes: 2 big things to make note of before a Ping battery change....1) IOB - changing battery erases IOB on pump 2) make sure not to change battery during combo bolus - stops that too. Ignore if you had this on file! :cwds:

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Not on MM, but you do on Animas.

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

But we always just do a 0 prime.

11. ashtensmom

Sorry, I think I mislead you. I know I can change battery anytime. I am just more comfortable doing it during site change:cads: Since I have only changed the battery a time or two, I am still nervous when doing it... like I said, I am a slow learner! LOL. So is it best to wait until I hear the first alarm before I change the battery (as one poster said), or should I change it as soon as one bar disappears?

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Yes, I have read about the IOB info disappearing but I forgot about the combo!
    I goof a lot with combos, where we will have supper and have bloused with combo, and then after supper we will send DD to have a shower!!!:eek:

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I rewind at each resevoir change, but only do a full prime when I change tubing(well it primes to 0.1 when not changing tubing, then I stop. If I've changed the site, I fill the canula.

13. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

One of the many tips we've learned the hard way - when changing the battery verify that the pump restarts.

Once when my son got a low battery warning he decided to change it himself and put the battery in upside down. There was a panic a while later when we discovered his pump wasn't working. After I fixed the problem I found that it had been without power long enough that I had to re-enter many of the pump settings.

14. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I did that last night with the combo and then a shower! Then, I was about to tell her to move it along so we could reconnect quickly when I saw a huge bubble in her tubing and primed it out canceling the combo. She was only due for .15 so I just bolused her for it when she got out. All was well, but I was like Doh!

15. hawkeyegirl

A normal-length bath or shower shouldn't affect the effect of a combo bolus enough to worry about unless the length of the combo is very, very short.

16. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Good to know.

17. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

If you suspend the pump though, I believe it cancels any combo bolus, and my child is not known for taking a "normal length shower'.:D

18. hawkeyegirl

We've never suspended the pump for a bath. Why would you do that?

If you've got a combo going and your kid takes hour baths, I guess your choice is to bolus the part they will miss afterwards.