- advertisement -

Just came home from monthly CDE Appt

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hallenbeckfamily, Mar 28, 2007.

1. hallenbeckfamily

hallenbeckfamily Approved members

Ha!!! Total validation!! The school had asked the Dr. to write a order homeschooling Chris till his bg's were in better control and behavior swings were better. At the time I was mad cause I bust my butt to get control. Anyway Dr. said a BIG FAT NOOOO way to homeschooling. Well at the CDE apt she did a average of the last few weeks. She told me we were in outstanding control. That most the people in to see her today were not near what range Chris is in. His average over the last week was 187 and last weeks was 193. SOOOOO HA!! I knew there was a reason I worked soo hard 24/7 to keep Chris healthy!! She said for a dx of less than 6 months we are outstanding!! She also is writing a letter to the school nurse and staff regarding the lying to Chris about hos blood suger readings. She's a diabetic since childhood and is APPALLED!! Man come Monday I will feel redemption and CDE is scheduling a training session at school to better educate these people. Chris is in a different place than the other kids dx 6 yrs ago,they can't compare. He is a new dx. Anyway~Had to share my news!! Jennifer

2. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I remembered you had trouble with the school thinking his numbers were too high and that affected his behavior, but I had no idea they asked you to homeschool! Is it even legal for them to ask you this? Were they going to provide the materials AND the teacher for homeschooling? Or were they going to try to force YOU into doing it? I am shocked they even mentioned this! Can you complain to someone? That just doesn't seem right. I'm pro-homeschooling, but only when all parties CHOOSE to do so!

And lying about his numbers? Were they telling him he was high when he wasn't?

I'd bring this to the top of the chain of command at that school district, pronto!

3. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

ahhh!

oh my god, i can't believe they asked you to homeschool! what is wrong with them!! i read your posts about the lying about the BS but didn't know about the homeschooling, wow they are just really making things difficult for you- as if having a child with D isn't already tough enough! you are doing a great job jennifer, keep up the good work!! and i agree with others, maybe this is their last chance and then you should take it to someone above the school principal/nurse/etc. good luck next week!

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

that is totally wonderful!! I can't NOT even believe that the school wanted the dr to right an order to homeschooll.. who the heck does these people think they are??? I hope that by having the CDE in there it'll straighten this school out..

I'm so glad that your team is behind you 150%!

5. hallenbeckfamily

hallenbeckfamily Approved members

I believe they are re-acting to a situation-Chris's behavior when bg's out of range-with out understanding of the disease.I am sooo gonna educate these people!! I have the full educational support of the Dr. and CDE and they will get a good learning EXP on D after spring break is over. Ignorance is NOT bliss!~~Jennifer

6. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Wonderful news, Jennifer! I am so glad that Chris is in such good control and that the CDE is going to help you work through the issues at school! I can't believe the school actually wanted the Dr to write orders for homeschooling. I highly doubt the legality of that.

7. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Well good for you! Validation is all we need sometimes. I am very glad to hear that you have the full support of the medical staff! :)

8. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Boy, the nerve of that school. Wanting to lie about the blood sugars and then on top of it wanting the Doctor to write an order forcing you to homeschool. I am so glad your doctor and CDE are backing you up. You go get them! I am rooting for you 1000%

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm so happy you got the validation you deserved! I think it's great the CDE is going to schedule a training session -- those people in that school definitely need it!!

This said, I would still definitely send a letter to the superintendent and principal about this teacher's actions. It still needs to be reported so that this cannot happen to another child in the future.

I hope you're enjoying your week off!!!!

{[HUGS}}

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'd like to follow-up with what Andie said - I have never heard of a school asking a doctor to order a patient to homeschool. I cannot believe that is legal. In our state it is possible to have the SCHOOL provide in-home services if the child is unable to attend school (and that has to be approved - not an easy process - I've never heard it being used for a diabetic child). The school system has to actually send a teacher to your house, etc.

I realize you might prefer to homeschool than have that arrangement but I really do not think the school would have the right to not let your child attend school - which is what it amounts to.

BTW - congrats on the good news. I am happy the doctor's office is willing to help and gave you such encouraging news. I would like more info on the situation with the school asking the doctor to tell you to homeschool though. That seems so far out there - they are really asking for a lawsuit if you were a litigious person....

11. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Wow. Your school doesn't seem cooperative. Are there other schooling options for Chris in your area? I would hate to have to bust my rear like you have been and then not to have you school on board and quick to judge. If this school is your only option, I really feel for you.

Great news on Chris' control! It's so re-affirming when you are acknowledged for what you've done and your hard work.:)

12. coni

coni Approved members

I have been reading your posts, and I am very, very happy that your endo and staff 1) recognize the hard work you've done in caring for your child, and 2) support you in the situation with Chris's school. Chris's school needs to get a grip. (I could say a lot more, but I'm holding my tongue!)

13. hmstone12@hotmail.com

hmstone12@hotmail.com New Member

Stone family

I cannot believe that the school wanted you to homeschool. I am a dietitian and a CDE. I have had diabetes for 25 years and now have an 8 year old(dx last year). I was originally told right before this school year that the school nurse would not be returning and there was a possibility of my son having to change schools. I pitched a fit. As educators and parents we advocate for our children leading the same life as any other child their age. They did end up hiring a nurse 2 days before school started. I think it is important for people to remember that there are laws against this type of discrimination. I have recenty been observing my son, who is developing some type of OCD. There has been some behavior changes at school and I am taking him to see someone. They have dx him with OCD from high levels of anxiety. It is very sad to see him suffering from this. He is constantly feeling the need to tell me when he has done something wrong or that he may have germs on him. Yes, this could be from his dx. However, he has a horrible teacher this year and there is a high possibility that it is due to that. Sometimes people that don't understand the disease want to blame every behavior on diabetes.

14. gsmom

gsmom Approved members

Jennifer,

Your child is so lucky to have you!!! However the school district probably won't feel that way!! Our break is next week & the school nurse isn't going to be there tomorrow. She is having to pull teeth for them to get someone in there to cover for her. I let her know if she needed me to I'd go pitch a fit for her as the district doesn't seem to want to provide her any help. They've pretty much left it up to her to get someone!

It sounds as if your district just doesn't want to educate themselves!!! As a teacher myself, that's appaling!!!! You'll be in my thoughts on Monday!! Keep us updated and I'm so happy that you're going into this with lots of support!