- advertisement -

Junior National Young Leaders Conference

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Treysmom, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Have any of your children ever been nominated or gone before. My dd Sarah is 11 and in 6th grade. She has been nominated by her Social Studies teacher. It will be in Washington D.C in the spring. I opened the letter today and I am so honored that she was nominated BUT I cannot put her on a plane and send her.

Six days of meetings and museums. It really sounds like a experience of a life time. I cannot afford it. At 11 in a large city with NO one you know:eek:.

http://www.cylc.org/nylc/

2. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

My son was nominated last year but besides the D situation, the cost seems SO outrageous. I wonder if the companies that do this just do so to make money off of people who are "honored" by the nomination. That said, I do know kids that have gone (non-d) and I think they had a good time.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I don't know anything about this organization specifically. I do know some of these outfits are only in it for the money. Check around with guidance counselors, etc. It does have info on the site about financial assistance.

I am 12 miles outside DC if you decide you want to take the chance :D

4. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

Jesse was nominated in 9th grade... But it seems like a scam to me.. its just sooooo expensive,.. and I think maybe Ellen told me that Zach did it.. and it was horrible..

5. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I've been nominated through out middle school. In the 6th grade I actually raised enough to go, checked if they had the medical staff, etc. But then I was given the choice of either a family vacation or conference. So I picked the family vacation to Williamsburg, VA. And I couldn't have been happier.:D

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

That was People to People - a complete waste of money and very poor communication (to put it nicely)!!

7. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members