- advertisement -

Junior High and Middle School Help??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by thebestnest5, Jul 15, 2011.

1. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

2. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris uses a small camera case with two zippered compartments. In it he carries his Omnipod PDM, Multiclix, test strips, alcohol strips, and a couple of packs of fruit snacks. He has carried it everywhere for nearly 4 years. We bought additional bags, it is a Kenneth Cole, in case it is ever discontinued.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler carries his meter with a roll of glucose tablets in it. We put a whole punch hole in the strap on the onetouch mini and he put that into his 3 ring binder that he carries to all his classes. He has snacks, and extra glucose tablets in his backpack in his locker.

In every classroom that he goes to, the teacher has a large ziplock bag labled wtih his name with a juicebox and granola bar. (just in case)

Obviously the nurse has back up meter, ketone meter, glucagon, glucose tablets, juiceboxes, insulin pen, snacks, alcohol wipes in her office.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

In middle school my daughters school had no lockers, so they had to keep their backpacks with them anyway. I got her one of these. She just kept it in her backpack until she needed it.

Per the schools request, we also kept back up supplies, juice boxes and such in the nurses office which was always accessible to her. We didn't have anything in individual classrooms. She could also either go to the nurses office to test or just do it wherever she was at. The Nurses only rule was she didn't want them to test or give shots in the bathroom because "they're gross".

5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

My son, is is going into 8th grade and disgnosed this year, wears cargo pants or cargo shorts and stuffs everything in..... (meter, snacks, glucose, etc...). He thought the look of a fanny pack was "dumb" (his quote) and this worked great, especially when he when places after school on his bike.

Our daughter, who is going into 6th grade had a little leather purse for all of her supplies, but since she'll be having to carry it everyday, all day, I'm getting her a flat Coach purse (at the outlets) so she'll think she's stylish!

6. alismom

alismom Approved members

Allison carries a coach wristlet, small and stylish.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly carried her books in her backpack like everyone else and just had her ping in there with some extra smartie rolls. In a plastic bag she kept a humalog pen, pen needles, an extra infusion set and a skin prep wipe. The nurse kept a few extra pump supplies, an extra test kit, pen needles, wipes, and humalog and lantus pen in their refridg in case she was on a shut down or her pump went kaflooie. All went well.

8. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Jenny just finished Middle School and she always has her d bag with her. This is the kind of bag she has, works really well. Especially because it is not too big, but enough space for everything, and also she can hang it on her shoulders.

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7627_5205.html

9. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

For middle school my dd carries this style purse.
    http://www.verabradley.com/product/C.../p/1001230.uts

It has an outside pocket where she keeps her phone and has four interior pockets for meter, lancing device, strips, sugar sources, Glucagon and anything else she needs to carry.

These are cute! I think the important thing is does your daughter like it and will she carry it? and will it be easy to fit and also easy to find the D supplies in it?

Here is what worked well for us and for our school. For each class (and each bus) I prepare a ziplock baggie with 1 juice box, 1 roll of glucose tabs or 1 tube glucogel, a 6-pack PB crackers and a 3X5 inch double-sided laminated card explaining T1D and "what to do if." The card also lists her right to carry and use a cellphone.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh carries a purse. My school doesn't allow kids to carry backpacks (well they would make an exception with Ashleigh if she used it to carry her diabetes supplies). Still i think it's a stupid rule! The kids have to carry all their books/papers/folders in their arms. Any way she keeps all her diabetes supplies with her in her purse. She does keep extra stuff (snacks, juice boxes, glucose tabs, meter, test strips, lancets,ect) in the nurses office. That's in case she forgets something at home. Last year I think she only had to raid the nurse's supplies once or twice.

11. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

At the beginning of each semester, I provide each of Jayden's teachers with a pencil box containing glucose tabs, a small bottle of water, a juice box, a package of peanut butter crackers, and a package of gummi bears. She carries her meter, strips, and her own snacks in her purse. She doesn't use any kind of special bag.

12. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

This is what we do too, except she carries her own water in her bag. The fountains in the school haven't worked in years. I take cases of water to the nurse & she keeps 1 in each teacher's mailbox. The teachers take the water to class, & the nurse keeps the mailbox replenished as needed.

13. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Oooh, I like the teacher mailbox idea, Michelle. I'll have to see if our nurse will do that. I do like Jayden having a box in each classroom. Her teachers have been great...they tell her where it is, and if she needs something from it, she just goes and gets it. Usually by the end of a semester, she's used most everything from each box.

I pass out the boxes at the 504 meeting we have before school starts each year, and I also attach a $5 gift card to each box to wherever I pick. I tell the teachers that is my "Thank you" to them for helping Jayden stay healthy and successful at school. They seem to appreciate it :).