- advertisement -

Jump in A1c

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Jan 11, 2009.

1. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Hi, Just wondering....has anyone had a 1.1 point in their childs' A1C without a good reason? My DD is 5yo. We started the pump in November 2007. Her A1C every 3 months consistently went from 8.4 down to 7.6 this past October. At our visit this past week, she went up to 8.7 and now the endo wants to do a celiac workup???

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We had a good jump in the A1c:( but that's because we were slow to make changes:( There were many growth spurts and illnesses involved, and sadly we didn't increase insulin fast enough, so we ended up playing chase. Now, we've learned our lesson...but of course, d is always one step ahead, I feel.

The celiac screening we get done 1x year, but it has never been suggested because of A1c going up:confused:
    Are there other issues going on?

Hang in there.:cwds:

3. coconne3

No other issues going on. He just doesn't understand such a jump when she was so steadily coming down. :)

4. mickey's mom

mickey's mom Approved members

We went from 7.6 to 9.2 in 3 months, after being on the pump and being pretty controlled. No clue as to why. I am hoping that the test done last week is better. Based on the CGMS, Michayla spends the majority of her time between 6-7 (108-126 I think?).

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Kelly has a good point...can your endo get you a CGMs for a week or so to see where tweaks need to be done. Maybe there are unnoticed highs happening which are not being caught. We had some issues with undetected overnight highs (at times when we didn't test), and we did some overnight basal testing and lo and behold, amazing jumps between 1:15 and 3:45 am.

How about asking your endo about wearing the CGM temporarily?

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Good question! This suggestion comes up a lot and yet I've asked all three of the Endos we've worked with and they have all said, "we don't do that".

So who does? And who owns the CGM? The endo? or is it a loaner from the rep?

PS Sorry for the hijack ...

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Our A1C has matched the CGM data nearly exactly, so once you're using a CGM, if A1C went to 9.2%, I would think that the reason would be apparant from the CGM data.

I can't think of any reason why celiac would affect BG or A1C (it had no bearing in our case). But the celiac test is usually done routinely anyway, because if a person has T1 then they have a 10%-15% chance of having celiac.

It is probably a good idea to get a CGM, even if on a temporary basis, to help diagnose and correct whatever is causing the high A1C.

8. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

Haleys went that way starting in July her bg's started going nuts and being uncontrolable. We are just now starting to get things back in order. But her
    A1C went from 6.7 to 8.5 it is nuts.

9. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

We had a jump also due to illness, growth, etc. But, our Endo said it is also probably because on MDI Ryan wouldn't eat many carbs because he didn't want shots. After the pump, he eats pretty much what he wants and covers, and that can cause changes.

I think, it's the growth more than anything. In the first 6 months of D, no growth, no weight gain etc. 1 yr on the pump he's grown 22 lbs and about 5 inches in height. Now, we've hit puberty and the fun never stops!:D;)

10. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

MY A1C jumped from 6.4-7.5, but you can't relate it to anything that would cause a child's to go up!!:D Menopause!!

11. coconne3

Thank you for showing me circumstances where it has happened and not been related to dx of another autoimmune disorder. I'm still freaking out but can at least hae some positive thoughts.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Even if it is celiac, nothing to be too upset about! There are no health consequences, just a change in diet.