- advertisement -

judgemental people

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MySweethearts, Sep 23, 2009.

1. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

I won't get into details here, but I really hate when somebody make you second guess yourself about the care you give your child. I think it is bothering me so much because it was the school nurse. She is great, but alittle OCD and steps over bounds sometimes. I am been depressed the rest of the day because of her. She so casually asked me if something was going on at home because I just seem so relaxed this year about Luke's care...WTH! So I casually metioned how I check his blood a 2 am, I really hate how some of these teachers/nurse think they know so damn much. They see black and white, they don't see how D takes a emtional beating on the child too. Thank for letting me vent. :(

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm sorry. That hurts to hear.:(

3. lynn

lynn Approved members

I know what you're saying!! My mother is that way.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

vent away!

5. samheis

samheis Approved members

Yup, seems we are all surrounded by people who mean well, but just don't get it.

6. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I'm sorry. Most people will never "get it".

7. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

Wow, what a judgemental statement that nurse made to you! I would have said "What do you mean by that?". I probably wouldn't have though because I only think of what to say hours later after I've fumed a lot! lol

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just thought of this. If she mentions again how relaxed you seem, then say "I make a conscious effort to seem calm and collected, so that my kid can feel the same, despite having D."

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Bingo!

(too short)

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im sorry you have such an a** for a school nurse!:mad: Ours actually compliments me because of my calm, laid back attitude about diabetes. Steven's had d for over 5 years now and i couldnt keep up that intensity of emotion that i had for the first couple of years. Id be in an institution right now. Steven is happy in life and I bet Luke is too. I tell people that Steven doesnt complain, why should I?

11. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Just when you're feeling good about how you are dealing with his care, then someone says something! It's hard not to give their voice power. Just remember that you are doing a great job and she knows nothing about what it is to be a parent of a T1. YOu do. You're the pro. She's on the farm team. :)

12. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Nice come back...I usually think of something smart to say after the fact.

OP hang in there....

13. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Most people will never get it. I tell them that a very complex system in my child's body that is absolutely necessary for life has completely stopped functioning. It is not easy nor will it ever be easy to imitate its function. But I will try and will not give up. I will not "take it easy" even if others they know have.

14. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

You know you really can't win. Either you are the obsessive helicopter parent worrying way too much about a "little" thing like diabetes or you are just lazy and don't care about your child and let them eat everything like a normal kid.

We will never win in others eyes. They don't know how hard it is to take care of our kids and how it is even harder to do it all while seeming as if it is no big deal.

15. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

You took the words right out of my mouth. I love that I can come here and you all understand, this is such great support that I really needed. Thank you everybody so much for all the posts, it means alot to me :) I had to take a paper to the nurse this morning and she told me she hopes I didn't take it the wrong way :confused: She says she knows I have a lot on my plate and she could never do it, I guess I should be glad at least she understands that.

16. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

The remark was inappropriate.