- advertisement -

Jobs for Diabetics???

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Diabetic_Lance, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Diabetic_Lance

Diabetic_Lance Approved members

Hey there, it's me Diabetic_Lance.

New here but I have always had this question on my mind, now I know as a type 2 diabetic there are many jobs closed to me...just wondering what sepific jobs ARN'T closed?

Thanks,

:Lance out:

2. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

To the best of my knowledge - there aren't *that* many jobs that exclude diabetics. Yeah, there are some for sure, but most other jobs *do* make accomodations, because most are "equal opportunity employers" and by law can't just instantly exclude you for being diabetic.

Your question is really really vague. I don't know of "many jobs" being closed to diabetics, unless you decided to look it up - but in the area that you live there really honestly shouldn't be that many closed. I am searching for a job currently, - my last employer couldn't afford to keep me on anymore and that's the only reason I was let go then. But yeah, I haven't had any problem otherwise aquireing a job.

3. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

I know that as diabetics we can't be in the military, and we can't work the night shift. That's about all that I know of being closed to us. munchkingirl is right, by law they can't exclude us from a job for being diabetic.

4. Diabetic_Lance

Diabetic_Lance Approved members

Ok, to narrow it down,

say the job involved extream physical activity, such as Professional Wrestling...etc..etc.

Now I knew about the military, and just last year at Camp Hertko Hollow, (Diabetes Camp in Iowa) I along with the rest of my age group were told that no Professional organization would hire diabetics out of fear of complications.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles..lol..but anyway that is what I was told.

Thanks for the replies

:Lance out:

5. munchkingirl

Trains, Planes, Automobiles - Yeah, only in certain area's, though. I know someone who has been diabetic for 20 years and working as a car mechanic for most of that time as well. There may be some certain area's of those fields that diabetics may be restricted from - but not all area's. now, I did know about the military, but i did not know about the nightshift thing, though it does make sense. Most jobs are open to diabetics - but not all jobs. You really have to do some searching to find jobs that you *really* want to have that won't allow diabetics. But, yeah, you could pretty much apply anywhere average and be fine - you could have a really upstanding office job and be fine too. Don't limit yourself but what you can't do - but rather on what you can. I find that things work better that way.

6. Rob

Rob Approved members

I don't know what it's like in the US, but I live in canada and I work a night shift, I build mobile drilling rigs, which is a fairly physically strenious job, and I've never had any problems. So long as you have good control (and a record of that goes a long way too) there isn't much closed off. Just make sure that wherever you get a job that the people you work with know you're diabetic and how to realise and treat a low blood level.

7. munchkingirl

I think here in the US the restriction for diabetics and nightshifts is more specified to those night shifts where you'd be alone for long periods of time. Not a good thing for diabetics. But, I am not entirely sure on that. - good point.

8. Army_Guy

Army_Guy New Member

Military Diabetics

I think everyone is confused about being a diabetic in the military. I am a type 1 diabetic and I am also a Sergeant First Class in the military. Not only am I a SFC but I also recently applied for Officer Candidate School and got accepted. I will soon be a 2LT. I believe you can not join the military with diabetes, however, many are diagnosed with it, like I was, after already being in. Those of us in this situation are forced before a medical board and based on our individual situations we are either retained or seperated from the military. I know Command Sergeant Majors (CSM) who are diabetics as well as special forces soldiers. I have been in the Army for 8 years and will retire in 12 years as a diabetic.

Airborne
    All The Way!

9. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I am a parent of a teen with type 1 but here is what I know about this. Kaleb could not be a plane pilot, a truck driver, or join the military.

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There are lots of things open. I am going into teaching (high school math). Pretty much all of academia is open, and it has the benefit that a lot of academic jobs are doable with complications (yes, my mind goes there a lot). You could be in the medical profession, even an EMT if that's your speed. I happen to think that diabetes is good experience for going into nursing or whatever (I think it would make medical school even harder though).
    Retail is open, as is the corporate world (blah).
    Social services is open- therapist, social worker, etc.
    Arts are open.
    In the self employment sector, there's programming and design. You can open your own business.

I feel like the world of employment is pretty open to me.