advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jdrf...

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by Nick Masercola, Nov 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Nick Masercola

Nick Masercola Approved members

Hey ya'll,

So people have been getting pretty furious with the JDRF lately. First there "1 in 20" advertisement came out, angering many diabetics at it's exaggerated statistics ( not to mention confusing purpose) and now their re-brand has...well, not gone over very smoothly.

The JDCA recently created an article talking about the rebrand, explaining why we both think it's going to hurt the type 1 community, as well the general issues of the misleading tagline ( why do you say " curing diabetes", if that's not at all where your goals lie?)

If you're interested, you can find it with the link to our website in my ABOUT ME, and then under publications.

I do want people's opinions on the issue, but I want to be careful as well, as many of the newest threads have had to be shut down due to the massive arguments that were breaking out.

2. jtolpin

jtolpin Approved members

New, but....

So, a long time ago, 11 yrs really, when Caitlin was born, and we knew there were issues, we looked to help.

She had multiple food allergies, dx'ed at Childrens-Boston, so where else COULD you go, but the food alelrgy support group - at the time, they were FAAN.

Then we realized we're doing fine, and dont need them.

<FF> to many years later, to 2 yrs ago, when Caitlin was 9, and dx'ed with T1D. Where else COULD you turn but JDRF. We did the walk, did the donations, etc etc....

Are they a good organization? IMO, you bet. Find a cure, sure. Im with you. FAAN is looking for a cure to FA too.

Im betting an artificial pancreas, or whatever youd like to call it, comes before a cure to FA's.

That being said, Im indifferent to JDRF. I want a cure, but I have to do whats best for OUR family.

I dont get upset over advertising. Not at all. DOesnt bother me.