- advertisement -

JDRF Walk ideas...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Oct 21, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

San Francisco JDRF walk is this Saturday. Life has been so insane that I never got a chance to have team shirts made, so we went to Michael's and were going to make some of our own. Well, now they are saying that it may rain Saturday, and I am sure it will be really cold crossing the bridge in the morning, so Im thinking with sweaters and jackets no one will see our shirts anyway. Anyone have any other ideas on how to make our team look cohesive still? Any ideas would be appreciated. Preferably not too expensive. :eek:

Thanks.

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

You can do sweatshirts with the iron on transfers. That's what we did last year, and it worked great.
    Target or Walmart usually have either the Hanes or Fruit of the Loom sweatshirts for about $5 each. We chose gray, because the transfer would show up better on a light color. White would work great, but with boys in my house, white is not very practical.

3. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Does it have to be shirts? Can you get hats and iron on a design on those?

4. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

On our first JDRF for a friend, the mom bought those some inexpensive "fun foam" visors which her kids decorated. Can't remember if she wrote the team name on them or not, but you could do that if you wanted.

Could you get dowel rods and felt squares? Cut squares into triangles, decorate and attach to dowel rods. Voila! Team flags. :)

Or one more idea... buy a big parachute-thingy.... the kind kids use for gym class or field day. Have team members walk holding the handles and bouncing a ball on it with your team name. I guess this would only work if you're on a pretty big walkway. But it sounds fun to me at least as I'm typing it!

Our first walk for our ds will be in March. I need to keep these ideas in mind!

Happy Walking!!!!

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We made our own shirts doing iron on transfers. If you think it's to cold for a t-shirt how about a sweat shirt or a jacket with your team's name on it.

6. januaryblue

I was thinking sweatshirts would be too expensive, but I forgot that some places sell cheaper ones.

Caps are a good idea too. And I think I love the flag idea-even if we do some sort of cap or shirt.

The parachute one is funny! I don't think that would work as well of the Golden Gate Bridge. I bet they wouldn't even let us on the bridge! LOL.

7. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

a friend did those foam visors-you can get them at walmart of michaels and decorate with stickers. the kids personalized them and it looked real cute. I think my father in law was talking about sweatshirts, at least for the adults we could reuse them.

8. januaryblue

OK, so I think I may take back the stuff I bought to make T-shirts and get the foam visors and stuff to make little flags.

Does anybody carry poster boards or anything?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  9. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I like the hat/cap idea. Some families carry flags/posters at our walk.

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

If it's going to be raining how about matching umbrellas? I like the foam visor idea a lot!

11. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

The umbrellas sound great--our Dollar Tree has black umbrellas and you could paint on them with that "puff" paint from a craft store.