- advertisement -

JDRF Children's Congress Application

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jeff, Aug 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Give this serious consideration! It is a great experience!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When they fund Faustmn, I'll be the first to apply.

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Yeah, there's that.

But the kids seem to get a lot out of it.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I'm sure they do. :cwds:

I'd just feel like a hypocrite applying for my kid when I have shared with her my support for Faustman given JDRF's attitude toward her work. Then there's that whole AP thing - but I know that the vast majority of D families don't share my opinion and I'm sure they will find a bunch of great kids to participate. ;)

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

your post made me look for the "like button" I don't think you're alone at all in this line of thinking.

7. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

What does jdrf think of faustmans work? To me she's the only one headed in the right direction. The artificial pancreas is great and all but it's still being attached to so many products and I'm guessing it's looking like it could be a good money maker.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Just so everyone knows, Children's Congress is about getting kids together to speak to Congress about where we would like THEIR support on important issues. Its not about raising funds for JDRF. I think there are multiple aspects to support diabetic research and I firmly believe getting the FDA out of the way of approving technology and continuing the NIH research into diabetes are two important aspects of it - neither of which are FUNDED by JDRF but require the government support that activities like Children's Congress asks for.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

A clip from Reuter's recent coverage of Faustman's work.

"Faustman has already faced significant challenges to her theory. JDRF rejected her funding requests and circulated a 2003 letter from two of her colleagues at Harvard Medical School, casting doubt on her work and apologizing to diabetics for "having their expectations cruelly raised" by stories about her research.

Reaction to this study was not much better. "The paper shows that BCG is associated with a transient improvement in a couple of patients, but it's hard to conclude that TNF is the causative factor," said Columbia's Clynes."

So basically they $hit on her. Even after their own funded researchers later replicated her results - not that they ever issued a retraction...

Full text http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/08/us-usa-health-diabetes-idUSBRE8771IK20120808

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012