advertisement

JDRF Children's Congress 2007

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by Ellen, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Children’s Congress 2007

The application for Children’s Congress is now available online at www.jdrf.org/cc07.

Please consider forwarding this link to families interested in applying to be a delegate for Children’s Congress 2007. Eligible applicants include children between the ages of 4-17 (at the time of the event) with Type I diabetes. All applications must be received by October 5, 2006. Sorry, but we cannot accept any extraneous materials for consideration with an application, such as letters of reference or video tapes.

All applicants will receive notice of their status in early January 2007. Children’s Congress will be held on June 17-20, 2007. Good luck!

2. dmconrad

dmconrad Approved members

Tell me a little bit about what is involed in the Children's Congress and what is expected of the children and the parents. I am new to this as my daughter was just diagnosed 3 months ago, she is 4 so I don't know how much she really would be able to contribute:)

thanks!

3. MoiraMcC

MoiraMcC Approved members

Hi--

I'm Moira and I was Chairmom of Children's Congress 2005. It's an amazing event -- kids from every state unite to call on Congress to help fund research for a cure for diabetes. It can be a lot on a little kid -- in fact at your daughter's age it would be more for you than for her. She's have a blast, but might not even remember it years from now. That said, plenty of little kids come (We try to split the age evenly from 4-17), The event goes like this:

Opening night dinner party -- kids all get introduced, Chairmom says a hello etc. Maybe an award or two presented to some Senators or the like.

Next day: Kids sing on Capitol Hill, the "Promise to Remember Me Song" Celebrities join them.

That night is a free night

Next day: A hearing on Capitol Hill with about five kids and some big stars testifying about life with diabetes. The other kids sit right down front in the senate and watch. Then, each child goes and meets personally with his or her Senators and Congressman to ask them to Promise to Remember them. Lost of photos, and a cool experience.

That night, a big party with a band and dancing and fun surprises.

The kids all get to mingle and make friends quite a bit, and so do the parents.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask me more

Regards,

Moira

4. dmconrad

dmconrad Approved members

Thank you for the information. I think it sounds wonderful, even though you are right, she may not remember it all very well. But I agree that it is important to include young kids, it helps to demonstrate that this disease affects so many at such young ages!

thanks again, I think we will apply!

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Children’s Congress 2007 application deadline Oct. 5, 2006

JDRF Friends & Families:

The Children’s Congress 2007 application deadline will close in just two weeks, on October 5, 2006. Applications submitted online or received at the JDRF office in Washington, DC after this date will not be considered.

Both the hard copy and the online form for the application can be found at www.jdrf.org/cc07. Please forward this link to anyone you know that may be interested in applying. Eligible applicants are children between the ages of 4-17 (as of June 2007) that have Type I diabetes.

Tip: Take a stack of applications with you to a Fall Walk or to other Chapter and community events.

Children’s Congress 2007
    June 17-20, 2007
    Washington, D.C.
    Applications due: October 5, 2006
    www.jdrf.org/cc07

Thank you in advance for spreading the word about this special and important event!

6. ann-lolly

ann-lolly Approved members

I have just read all the info--I think--- and it sounds wonderful but i am wondering if we are chosen, are we paying for our stay there or is JDRF covering our rooms???

7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I believe JDRF covers the cost of the child(ren) with diabetes and one parent.

8. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I am too late :( Hailey was just diagnosed on the 13. What a wonderful experience this would be for her. I hope I can get her involved in the 2008 one!

9. TJ1

TJ1 Approved members

Hi,

My daughter wants to attend the Children's Congress, but obviously missed this year's deadline. When do the applications start for 2008?

10. Momto4

Momto4 Approved members

I think the Children's Congress is held every 2 years so the next one would be 2009. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that a few months ago.