- advertisement -

IV 3000, anyone use these?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mischloss, Aug 10, 2007.

1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

I used one sample and don't think I did it the right way. Okay, my son was going to a day swim park here in Atlanta. So I had one sample of this IV3000 and had heard that they make the infusion set site stick stronger since he is going to be in the pool the whole day practically. Well, he had the site in already, so I took the IV3003 and cut a small "donut hole" in the middle of it and then put in on top of the inset site with the site in the center and the IV3000 as a "ring around it." But I think in reality the true way to use it is under the site...so you slap on the entire IV3000 clear plastic thingie...and then pop the site into it???

Well the way we did it, it did help the site stay in the whole time at the water park and my son really liked it! I ordered a box now to try, but was wondering if any of you have experience using it and which way it is truely the best way to do this.

Thanks!:confused:

2. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

We've tried it both ways. Actually what is working now (and is less expensive) are large waterproof band-aids with the hole cut in the middle. That seems to work well for Ryan. He swims on the swim team...so he is in the water a LOT. But for us anchoring from the top seems to do better than under.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use it like you did. Cut a small hole in the middle and secure it over the set. Make sure that the IV3000 covers the sticky part of the site, making an extra anchor.

Works well for us, except at the beach where all it does is trap sand!

4. mischloss

I wonder why they don't make them with the hole already cut in the middle if that is the preferred way? I am guessing now that they are not originally designed for pump sites??

Well, I already ordered a box and I think insurance covers 100% so technically they will be cheaper than the waterproof bandaids, but that is also a good idea and I will certainly give them a try as well. Thanks!

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

6. missnme

missnme Approved members

We've also used them both ways, but found Skin Tac and/or Mastisol to be much better for keeping sites on in the water. IV Prep, then Skin Tac or Mastisol, then the site.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We do it just how you said,put the site in.. disconnect, and the cut a hole in the center, put it on and reconnect.. I want it to hold the sides of the site down.. I've had an issue lately with the outside of the iv3000 coming off but the sticky residue staying.. kaylee looks rather funny with a grid of residue on her :)

8. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Interesting because we use nothing to cover our site. Tried these and hated them becuase I always wrinkled them. Our sites stick amazingly well, never had a loose one even after a summer of daily swimming. We only use the IV Prep wipes.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

We've used the IV3000 for 3 years but it does nothing (or very little) to hold back the water and keep the set on. If you are using just that I wouldn't waste them for it!

We use Skin Tac on the skin, then the set, then the IV3000 and that combo works very well. The IV3000 and the set only stays on for us if we use a special adhesive like Skin Tac rather than the iv prep wipes.

You may need a remover to get it off too - like unisolve.

10. mischloss

I have a box of Skin Tac but use it "instead" of IVPrep sometimes (like an either or) instead of both like the other post suggested....so I might also try the combo,,,,first IV Prep and then Skin Tac, then put in site...and lastly if needed the IV3000 with a hole in the middle on top of the whole darn thing.

Come to remember there was one type of adhesive tape that the nurse endo mentioned where you put it directly on the skin and then poke the site through it...I can't remember is she was referring to the IV3000 or if there was another one on the market...said something about it sticking AND letting the skin underneath breath.

11. missnme

missnme Approved members

Tegaderm is the other brand of IV3000. Some people have better luck with it.

For us, both of those retain water, so if we don't get out and let it dry every hour or so, it ends up pulling right off of her.

Good luck!