- advertisement -

It's the small victories that make is bearable!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by njswede, Jul 15, 2015.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

We were a bit worried about one of DS' summer camps, since they didn't have a person familiar with diabetes on staff. But since the camp is only minutes away from our house and I work from home, we gave it a go. The camp director had never seen an insulin pen before and didn't know much about anything regarding T1D, so I gave him a crash course. Now, a couple of days into it, things are going great! Whenever he's in doubt, the camp director texts me and since I have his BG on my computer screen, I know exactly what to tell him. The greatest thing was when the director called me just to say what a great son we have and how smart and responsible he is.

I know, nothing to write home about or to brag about, but this is what keeps me going. The little milestones. First time at a restaurant, first hotel stay, first playdate, first pool day, etc. I must be one of those annoying glass-half-full-people. :)

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I have to disagree with you: this is something to write home and brag about! Good for you and your son!!! It truly is these little victories that keep us going... :victorious:

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I disagree! This is awesome and really what our jobs are between now and when they leave us. Great job both of you and kudos to all the caring adults who take the time to learn how to help us take care of our kiddos.

4. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Sounds great; glad it is working out for him!

5. dpr

dpr Approved members

Being at camp all day without Mom or Dad is a pretty big thing. As intense as diabetes can be it makes you realize everything really is alright. Congrats and enjoy the moment!