- advertisement -

It was too good to last :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NJPHV, Nov 14, 2011.

1. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

So, we started pumping in September. Since the start, we have had to make no adjustments to the original settings we programmed. My son's basal, carb ratio, all that "stuff" you want to be good was great. I learned how to do site changes quickly, and felt ok about the pump. Boy did I get a rude awakening today ! I checked my son's BG before dinner...400. :eek: Checked again, (because surely this was wrong !) 400 again. :mad: I know he didn't eat without a bolus, and his number had been climbing all day since lunch. I had been told that if you get two high BG's in a row, change the site, give a correction shot, and things will be good. Except I have never in my life used a syringe. (The endo is great-but we forgot that lesson at last appointment) We had pens when we were MDI--click n stick ! But with no pens in the supplies anymore, syringe it was. I thought I did o.k. until 2 hours later when my son woke up sweaty and crying he didn't feel good. BG 50 :( I know I gave him the right amount of insulin, so I am confused..what could I have done wrong? Is there a big difference in the unit in a pen vs. a unit in syringe? Once again, Diabetes sucks.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

Ok, I am a little confused. He was 400 before dinner, did you bolus him with the pump for the carbs he ate for dinner AND give a shot with a syringe, or did you just change the site and do the shot with the syringe? We don't have the same kind of pump so I cant say anything about that, but we also used pens before the pump and we still keep pens for emergencies like this. Are you sure his fingers were clean when you tested? Is his pump connected now? Possibly you could have given the shot, reconnected the pump which gave a basal dose also. What was his number when he went to bed? How much of a correction did you give him? How much did you give him to cover his dinner carbs? I am confused lol..The experts will be along soon. The good news is you caught the low. Don't beat yourself up. The high could have been caused by lots of things, it may not be the new trend. Hang in there!! :cwds:

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Correcting down from a 400 is less precise than correcting down from a 200. The meter may have read 400 when blood sugar was really, say, 350 (if a meter is 15% off at those numbers, it's considered accurate), so your correction wouldn't have had to be far off to cause a low.
    Injecting from a syringe might give more insulin than from a pen, depending partly on needle length and injection technique, but my guess is that that wasn't the problem.

4. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

Sorry so confusing--I tried to keep it short--but left out some important details. When I changed his site, the little tube that was inside him was so kinked it looked like a "Z" I don't know how it delivered any insulin at all since I put it in 2 days ago. He was pretty good until today. I gave him a shot, put in a new site about 1/2 hr. later. He never ate anything so I never gave him anything to cover food. I had checked him before dinner not to bolus him, but because he had a headache. He is a picky eater, and does not really eat on a schedule. Hope that made more sense !

5. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Sounds like the site change helped then? Do you use full or half unit syringes when you need to opt for a shot? We use the half unit syringes and I feel like they are a bit more accurate. Connor has only used a pen when he was at camp and the needle on the pen looked longer than the one on our syringes. Is he back to "normal" today?

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Well for sure that kinked site caused the 400, but like Jonah said, the higher the blood sugar , the trickier the correction. There is a larger margin of error with the blood sugar reading. Also, we often find that she drops to much with a larger correction. Not that I don't give her the full correction when she is 400, but I know that I need to double check in a few hours.

7. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

Thanks everyone-- he's much better today. I got up and checked every 2 hrs. last night. Only 1 small low--a 70--which we brought up with glucose tabs (he wasn't bad about chewing them up while he was half asleep) Today his numbers were 85, 101, 111, so far. I survived out first pump issue :D

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Good Momma! :D

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

Great numbers!