advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IT MIGHT BE WISE TO STAY AWAY FROM MEDTRONIC

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andrelaplume, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Andrelaplume

Andrelaplume Approved members

I have not posted in some time. My little girl is not so little any more. She has been a type 1 on a Medtronic pump for a dozen years. We seldom had pump issues. Our biggest issue was uploading data to carelink with theie crazy cables and usb devices that always seemed to incompatible with whatever operating systems we were on. Eventually she was well enough controlled we just stopped and let the doc do it on well visits.

We just got the latest Medtronic pump. Its a bit different and adjustments will be necessary. One thing that has not changed is the crappy bug filled carelink software. First the login screen looks no different than it did 10 years ago. Next we still have the same old issues of it nor recognizing our devices. They still have lousy documentation. We have tried everything..btw I work with computers!

So I hit on hold now for 51 minutes waiting for help. Most help lines have a call back option. Not Medtronic. So we wait.

You may think this is just pertinent to the Carelink division. No. My daughter was on hold 90+ minutes twice since receiving the new pump.

I find this unacceptable. Hopefully the money they saved on providing help went into good pump tech. If you are on the fence about which pump to choose, I suggest calling their help lines and see what the wait times are and factor that into your decision.

I apologize for the rant but this is not only frustrating but has me concerned about the company in general.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Rant away! We’re here to commiserate with your frustrations surrounding your child’s T1D. I hope things get better from here with your daughter’s new pump. Hang in there!

3. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I have been following a couple of the Facebook groups for a couple of months as we have a new pump decision to make shortly. I realize that you mostly hear the bad in those types of Forums, but everything I have heard so far convinces me that the new Medtronic pump is not the right choice for us. It seems as if there are 10 negatives for every one positive.

rgcainmd likes this.
  4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My impression is similar.

5. Andrelaplume

Andrelaplume Approved members

I have calmed down. However it still upsets me.The pump seems a new design based on what she had. She has all kinds of issues with alarms, even a few times it said she was low and was not. Definitely a learning curve. The doc recommended staying with Medtronic. I guess I am lucky my benefits cover it. It now uses a AA battery and battery life is not as long...maybe because of the fancy new screen. I figure worst case she just does not use the cgms piece. We will try to be patient but not being able to get thru would be a huge factor if we were choosing our first pump. Maybe they are all like that now. I encourage folks to try to call the main number, technical support etc and see what kind of response you get and perhaps factor that into your pump selection.

rgcainmd likes this.
  6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The new Carelink software is great now. Always a pain before. Now Java free and runs great on Macs which I have.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

*Pssssst.......Omnipod makes a great pump......... ;)

rgcainmd likes this.