- advertisement -

It Does Get Better...So Far...We Have Survived...and Thrived!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I just wanted to share that since my son's diagnosis about 8 months ago...we have survived daily injections, rapidly changing ratios, a switch to the pump, Christmas, birthday parties, short and long vacations, amusements parks, water parks, camping, swimming, family reunions, a billion other occasions that require cupcakes and candy, a school carnival...complete with snow cones and popcorn, movie theaters, upset stomachs, a new puppy, and all kinds of different foods. Actually, these are the only things I can think of off the top of my head! To my surprise, we have survived and thrived. My son is a perfectly healthy, normal, and very handsome (had to throw that in there :)) young man.

Believe me that 8 months ago ( actually 3 to 4 months ago), I would have never imagined that we would have come so far so fast. I know that all of you who have been dealing with this for a while appreciate this "thank God" moment. To everyone who is even newer than we are at this....IT WILL GET BETTER AND YOU WILL BE FINE!

Do we mess up? Yep. Are our numbers perfect? Nope. Do I pray for a cure every day of my life? Yep. But, we are fine! I am so happy that we seemed to have made it over that hurdle of being completely overwhelmed all of the time to only being overwhelmed sometimes! ;)

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Thats great he is doing so good

3. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

YES! We are just at the 6 month mark and I feel like we are getting the hang of it as well! I can see our normal "life" again!! So happy for you! :)

4. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

Thanks for this! We are just past the 4 month mark and are in a really good place this summer. Not looking forward to the shake up school starting and maybe moving to a pump this fall will cause, but I know we can get through it!

5. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

Thank you for this very nice post! We were Dx the week before you. It seems so long ago! Now that I look back, I'm not sure when I quit being a 'closet cryer', but it stopped sometime (ok - every now and again I have a tear:))! We too are back to life, with a just a few changes! Running, soccer, swimming, horses, - it is just like it was before the big D showed (with a few modifications!).

Your very nice post helped me look back and realize how far we had come when not so long ago I felt our life was in shambles! I realize we are blessed and AJ will prevail in spite of her D! Life is good, fun and we are thankful!

Blessings to you and your family!