- advertisement -

Issues with Animas pump order...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Belinda, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Belinda

Belinda Approved members

In November I started the process of ordering a new pump for Hannah. We went with the Animas Ping. After about a month of back and forth conversations, we finally received the pump. It was a less then smooth process, but I received the pump and the process was done. WRONG!!! On day 1, I was told by both sales rep, that my insurance would cover the pump 100%... A huge incentive for me to purchase the pump before the end of the year. Well today I'm looking at the EOB. I owe $912 :eek: I immediately sent an email off to the sales reps regarding the discrepancy. I will be sending the pump back.:( Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Is the EOB for the supplies for 3 months that come along with the pump?? I had that happen when we ordered ours...I was told to send the info to our prescription company to get re-funded but that didn't work.. in the end I guess animas wrote off what we owed because I never heard from them on it again after I told them that my drug company would not refund on the scripts that they sent. Good luck...we love our animas pump!!

3. Belinda

Belinda Approved members

No, the EOB is only for the pump. They didn't send me any supplies. I'm not sure why though... hum. I need to look into that. Another bump in the road.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would call the insurance company. I would never trust a company trying to sell you a product to tell you what your coverage is. I would discuss this directly with the pump company.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would call Animas because they have a staff that is dedicated to dealing with insurance companies. Reps sell the product, I wouldn't go by what they have to say because they want to meet their quota by the end of the year.

Being that it is the holiday and it's possible these people are off, I would definitely touch base with your insurance company.

6. skimom

skimom Approved members

this may sound a little harsh -( maybe because I have two kids on pumps and NO insurance coverage for insulin pumps so we buy each pump out of pocket...We will be replacing a pump next year so at that point we will have spent nearly $28K on pumps..) I understand that you are ticked that perhaps you were given the wrong info re coverage etc but I don't understand why you would send a $7K pump back because you need to pay just over $900 for it??Can't you deduct from your taxes as a medical cost?
    I WOULD LOVE having only to pay $912 for a pump.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I know if we're planning a big medical purchase and there is a part insurance won't pay - we set aside extra money in our medical spending account - so knowing the cost and the timing can matter. Perhaps the OP would end up spending $900 for any pump she gets - but it would be more advantageous to buy it in January than December. Deducting it from taxes is not simple - or didn't used to be.

8. dianas

dianas Approved members

I have always had a copay of $1,000 to $2,000 dollars for all 3 of my pumps and supplies and the same percentage copay for CGMS. So I don't find the copay to be unusual as many insurances have copays or caps on durable medical. What I do find surprising is that Animas got your benefits wrong when they said you were 100% covered. Both Minimed and Animas had the information on my benefits/copay correct when it was time to get a new pump.

To find yourself with a $900+ copay when you were expecting none must be very frustrating for you and I can certainly understand why this would be problematic.

Each year I got a new pump both Minimed and Animas had interest free financing so I didn't have to pay it all at once usually over the course of 6 months to a year. Also when I weigh the cost vs benefit I look at the cost for the pump over 4 years as the warranty is for 4 years. For me my blood sugar control has improved considerably on the pump and therefore is well worth the $250 extra dollars per year my copay averages out to be.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We always pay a 20% co pay on the pump. Which is about $1000 I believe. That is after the $1500 deductible if we have made it. The cost of pump supplies are also going to be more than MDI but worth it to me.
    W also always get the first three months supplies with any new pump we get. I don't understand why you didn't get the supplies??

10. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

this is how our insurance is too. we always got at least 3 months worth of supplies. Animas and MM. Emily's pump was actually free for us as we have already spent so much this year and Jesse just got his in October. But they sent supplies with the new pumps. I was shocked at how much the costs of the pumps were. The new revel is almost 10K now. I remember the pumps being like 6k.
    I can understand your frustration though of thinking and being told it would be covered and now getting charged. Maybe you can look at just putting it on a payment plan. They will take $50/mo until its paid off if that works for your family. Pumping has made a huge difference in the kids' diabetes. ((hugs and good luck))

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I second the idea on the payment plan. I think it is always interest free too.