advertisement

Issues with 13 years of Insulin Pump Use

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by parentsofk, Oct 28, 2017.

1. parentsofk

parentsofk Approved members

Hi,

My daughter is 15 and was diagnosed at age 1, and started pump therapy at age 2.
    We feel that one of the factors complicating management right now (it's very complicated right now!) is Insertion Site failure. We're not talking catastrophic failure with failure, just non-ideal absorption leading to frequent highs.

She has started using a pen for the "up-front" portions of her meal boluses and for corrections, and if she needs a correction in the night, we'll generally give a shot) to try and ease off on her insertion sites -- don't know if it's helping.

Anyone else dealt with this?
    Anyone stopped pump therapy because of it and had better A1C?

Thanks!

Paul

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

What kind of site does she use? We switched to the steel cannulas because of site problems and found them helpful. But only (?!) six years of pumping here. Last summer we had problems with insulin clogging both types of cannulas, but it was an unrelated issue. Still frustrating to the point we considered untethered for a brief moment.

3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

it seems if the site was the issue, then it wouldn't be doing a good job for basals either. I think I would try a different type of site, as suggested by momofsweetone.

I do worry about the pump site areas getting "used up" so to speak. What areas does she use for the pump sites? It was around that age that my daughter started using the back of her upper arm & even though I thought it was weird, it works. She learned it from one of her camp counselors. Gave more real estate to use. She never used her thighs, but she does a lot of ballet & other dancing & I think she had too much muscle there & we ended up with bent cannulas & she was never comfortable with them there.