- advertisement -

ISO parents of toddlers/preschooler with T1D!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chasidy.nicole, Feb 8, 2014.

1. chasidy.nicole

chasidy.nicole New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for parents whose child was diagnosed at a young age to answer some questions and concerns I have. My son was diagnosed 9/30/11 (one week before his second birthday). He is now a very active 4yr but he still has issues dealing with "highs". It has come to the point to where my in laws think he is autistic because of his choice of relaxation, which my husband and I completely disagree with. We have had many people talk to us about their experiences, but in the end I feel like it doesn't matter because my son is only 4, not 16... The doctors are not concerned and says that it is normal for children this young to still have melt downs when they are high. I would just like to have a conversation with parent who has had a child diagnosed around the same time as my son and hopefully get some useful insight.

Thanks Everyone!

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My dd was 19 months old at dx. That was a long time ago-- she is almost 12yo now. What is it your son does that is concerning? Melting down while high seems normal to me; he probably feels awful then and he is still young. But it sounds like something else had your in laws in a snit?

3. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

I think behavior changes when high are normal.Our 11 year old gets very upset and easily set off when she is high too

4. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

What do you mean by, "because of his choice of relaxation"? Is he extra hyper when high?

My son was diagnosed at age 3 1/2, and is now 4 1/2. He was always a very good-natured baby and toddler.. it was only around his 3rd birthday when we noticed that he was more testy than before. He'd overreact to his brother and sister, shout and cry more easily, and smiled a little less. In retrospect, he was likely starting with high blood sugar then, as 6 months later he had an A1C of 13.

When he started on insulin, he was immediately back to his normal self. However we definitely notice when his bg spikes - he is more aggressive, energetic, and again, testy. He will hit his brother and sister with little provocation when high.. and cry over trivial problems. It's actually the canary in the coalmine for me - when I see his mood is off, I know to test or double check his dexcom.

The other unusual thing he does when high, is rock himself. He was doing that a lot in the leadup to his d/x.. he has a big armchair in his room with a bouncy back that he loves to sit and rock on (lean forward, then bounce back off the back of it repeatedly). He does it to comfort himself. He does it very rarely now - it's mostly a ritual that he does for a minute or two before he falls asleep. In the months before his d/x, we were hearing him wake up multiple times a night to rock on his chair. I think many would think that was an autistic characteristic.. but my son is in junior kindergarten, and according to his teacher, is extremely well adjusted and has great social skills and lots of friends. So we're not worried about autism at all.. it's almost like high blood sugar gives them a burst of extra energy that they don't know what to do with.

Hope that helps!

5. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

My daughter does really odd things when she is high. Often hyper, difficult to console, just wierd. What kind of behaviours have people concerned.
    (BTW my daughter is 3)

6. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 9 months and is now 4. We have seen a variety of behaviors, some probably due to age (terrible 3s haha) and some absolutely related to blood sugar. She also had some problems with low energy... remarked on by several people including her preschool teachers. She seems to have outgrown this and is very energetic and happy now, and I do wonder if a lot of that was blood sugar related. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

7. Tomdiorio

Tomdiorio Approved members

Hello,

My son had bacterial menegitis at 3 months. Then he was dx t1 at 10 months. At age two he was diagnosed on the spectrum. He had developmental delays as well as behavior problems even when his bg was in target. We kind of have the opposite problem where our family doesn't believe he is on the spectrum. They just brush it off and say, "oh he is four years old that's how they act". Obviously this is true, but sometimes it is not. Because of his developmental delay we got him evaluated which ended up being the right thing for us to do. Now he gets services and has made huge strides. It may actually turn out that he had damage from the menegitis, but there is no way to ever know that. Bottom line is we are getting services that he needs.

I can't imagine how our little ones feel when they are high or low. I know I can be cranky if I am hungry or before coffee and I am an adult without t1. How can out little ones be judged or held accountable for having a melt down when their bg is way off.

Good luck. I hope you find the insight you are looking for.

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My son was 2.5 when diagnosed, and he is now 5. He has always been high-strung and moody--he is always very happy, or very sad, or very mad, never neutral. Highs definitely further accentuate the extremes. No one has ever suggested that he is on the spectrum, but he definitely exhibits unusual and inappropriate behaviours while high. Please feel free to continue the conversation with me if it would help you.

9. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I don't believe others that have not experienced behavior caused by BG fluctuations would understand this...I feel I was a bit "lucky" to know in advance that high BG along with low BG causes behavioral changes. I can still tell from my husbands demeanor if his BG is extremely high or low, he is rather short tempered, spacey, grumpy and lethargic when high. When low he is goofy, like silly comic relief goofy and does everything quickly but clumsily. Isaac has his own young child-like behaviors that coincide with his BG, he gets grabby, grumpy and eaily frustrated about everything when he is high. He also whines a ton and wants to eat everything in the house, but nothing at the same time...as if all the food is just really the wrong food. When he's low he is silly and has hyper-like behavior, he also has a hard time focusing on food when he is under 50. Those are the most frustrating moments for me. So...not sure if that is what you're getting at, but he definitely has behavior that is not his typical behavior based on his BG. We don't however excuse behavior that harms others or himself regardless of BG, we treat the BG but also inforce some type of consequences if he's wronged somebody - for example he has hit me when he's been high. I will give him a correction, some water and have him sit somewhere near for a few minutes until he feels he can control himself again (just as I would if he didn't have diabetes). So, again not sure if this helps, but is just our experience.

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I am an autistic diabetic adult.

In the years leading up to my diagnosis of diabetes, I had a lot of additional sensory issues and acted more stereotypically autistic because I didn't feel good.

I am autistic no matter what my blood sugars are doing, but it is still harder for me to make sense of what I see and hear and pay attention and control my impulses and put up with things when my blood sugar is off.