- advertisement -

ISO best resources for making best use of CGM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, Jul 15, 2014.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We started with the Dexcom G4 at the beginning of June and things have been going pretty well. We have been getting really good accuracy on the sensors, with one exception of a sensor that we removed almost immediately because it was causing a lot of pain, insertion has been easy, and we've been getting 14 days from each sensor.

So far, our use of the CGM has been fairly basic. It has replaced some fingersticks. We've probably been using it to best advantage overnight--catching and more aggressively treating highs and lowering or stopping the basal to prevent lows. I think we are ready to move forward with our use of the CGM and wondered what resources you would recommend.

I am self-taught on the Dexcom. I did some basic online training. We could:

Participate in a class offered by our endo (I don't know who actually teaches it, which would greatly influence my decision)
    Use Integrated Diabetes Services (Gary Scheiner's practice)

Sadly, I have not (not Yet) reviewed our basic "diabetes library" (Think Like a Pancreas, etc.) or have I done comprehensive searching on this site, both of which I intend to do.

Any recommendations or other suggestions?

TIA

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

While I do not exactly understand what your question really is?

I would ask you to ask yourself what could we do a better job at? and find ways to use the CGM to do better!

For us right now I am really trying to instill using the CGM to gauge Prebolus time.

I think if you are interested in Integrated Diabetes services that would be the way to go, with their help you could probably work on everything at once!

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Gary used to have a Type 1 University class on it. https://www.type1university.com/index.php?option=com_eventbooking&view=category&Itemid=11 I don't know if you could get the recorded version or not, but we've had great experiences working with Jenny Smith through IDS. When we used the Medtronic CGM, we spent an hour with her training me to best use CareLink to our advantage. I then taught our PNP what I'd learned as we were the first ones using CGM. Because both Jenny & Gary wear the CGM as a T1 themselves, I think their training is far superior to what someone without T1 could know and teach. Wearing a CGM without T1 makes for a rather dull graph.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  4. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

If you are on Facebook this guy is an excellent person to follow. He has some really great tips on how to use the CGM to tighten up your control, and he is coming out with his own book too. He even travels around the country doing seminars, you could check he may be coming somewhere close to you.

Here is his info: The Power Within by Stephen Ponder MD, FAAP CDE

He usually gives a new tip, or insight every day. I have learned things from him all the time, and am constantly jealous of how flat his CGM line is :eek: