- advertisement -

Is your teen thin?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Bigbluefrog, Feb 9, 2011.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

A lot of teenagers are slim. I'm slim, and my BMI is on the lower end of normal.. but so are a lot of my non-D friends. I weigh less now than I did pre-dx at 13ish, but a lot of people lose weight in those years.

You might like to try a steel needle set. I get less bleeding and bruising with them than with angled sets, which I'm assuming you're using right now (I'm guessing straight in teflon sets would kink if she doesn't have much fat? Mine do).

2. Trev

Trev Approved members

My two type 1 kids are thin, but healthy. As for the bleeders have you tried an angled infusion set? To see pics of my kids visit my blog.

3. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden is thin. We use angled sets exclusively because she's never had the body fat to handle straight-in sets.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Interesting that both the kids w. D have red hair. Such a beautiful family btw

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  5. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I am just under 5'6 and about 128-130(I fluctuate those two pounds:rolleyes:)

I've met Type 1's all over the board when it comes to weight. In my pump class two years ago there were a few heavier people, and a few real thin. I think it just depends on the person...as it does with just about everything.

Both my sisters are redheads, and I am not...I am the one with Diabetes LOL

6. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

It may be her then, I was hoping she could gain a few pounds :)

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I agree totally. We need to get away from stereotypes imho. I have friends with type 1 and type 2 and some of them with type 1 are clearly obese and some are not and the same goes for those with type 2. It is easy to get into the rut of stereotyping.

8. Bigbluefrog

Thanks for PM and suggestions on different types of insets, I hope the new ones work.

Your kind and thoughtfulness was appreciated. Thanks

9. Bigbluefrog

With regards to angled sets, what is the reason behind having straight ones? Better absorption of insulin? I ordered some new insets, thanks for all the input and help.

Hopefully we will have less bleeders.

Hope the new insets are comfortable.