- advertisement -

Is your teen thin?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Bigbluefrog, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I noticed most type 1 diabetics are on the slender side, verses type 2 are on the heavy side.

Is this true for you?

Ambrea is very slender, and we are having trouble with her insets. She is getting more bleeders.

Then if she runs high in bg, she won't gain.

Ofcourse, Amber is so laid back about everything. She likes the idea of more ice cream...and could care less about being too thin.

2. txmom

txmom Approved members

My son is 16, he grew 3 inches and lost 8 pounds in 90 days. Our endo added a 4th meal to his day. He eats large meals and still doesn't gain.....we've quit using the hip as an injection site because we can no longer pinch an inch there.

3. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

My son is also a skinny guy. At dx last April, age 16 and 6' tall, he weighed 119 lbs., but that was after losing about 17 lbs. in the 2-3 weeks prior to diagnosis when he was drinking and going to the bathroom constantly. His "normal" weight was 133 lbs. Now, after 10 months and still on a very long honeymoon with ridiculously low insulin doses (he's on MDI), he weighs a whopping 142 lbs. and is just shy of 6'2"! We attribute the weight gain to the weight lifting and pullups he's been doing in Athletic Training, as well as the 2" height increase. He eats a lot and has never gained much weight since he's usually running around on a baseball field most days. His endo also teased him about having nowhere to "pinch an inch" for his shots and told him to fatten up.

Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Of course, many teens are naturally thin, even without diabetes. In the past T1 youngsters were thin because they didn't metabolize the carbs in their diet very well. Today, there are many T1 children who are a little plump, as are lots of other kids. Insulin tends to promote weight gain

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD is very slender.

6. LJM

LJM Approved members

Always on tall and thin side, but his recent knee surgery led to a bit of a weight gain. Seems that is moderating now he has recovered. He is still thinner than most boys his age and growing (he just reached and eclipsed my height).

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

6'4" and 155 lbs. He looks very thin to me. I am 7 inches shorter and way too many pounds heavier.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I was thin as a teenager, but that was before D and multiple pregnancies, as well as hashimoto's. I have a picture somewhere from about a year before I was diagnosed with D and I literally look like skin and bones.... and I was tan, something that isn't normal for me, but this was after working all summer at a summer camp where we spent a ton of time outside.

It's crazy though because I think back to being 17/18/19 and I thought I was "huge" at the time.... I wish I could go back and tell myself I looked great!

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Not really, I'd call him very solid, not fat at all, in fact very muscular. He's about 5'8" and probably weighs 178 or so. Solid and strong, would not call him thin though it's still hard to get sets into it him that work due to lack of fat.

When I look at him I see strong and healthy, not thin, not fat.

10. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

All of my kids are very thin. Kayla is almost 5foot 5 and 105 lbs, Noah is 80 lbs and 57 inches (don't feel like doing the math at the moment) and Nick is 62 lbs and 52 inches.

11. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

DS is a bit plump - 125 pounds at about 5 feet tall. But he is on Abilify, which can cause weight gain.

12. joan

joan Approved members

My son is pretty muscular, 5'11, 170.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm not sure I get this thread.

Type 1 kids are just the body type that they are. Some solid, some slight ... And while insulin can be a fat storing hormone, to think that Type 1 kids are slim and type 2 kids are fat, is sort of imposing a stereotype that really doesn't contribute much to "what it is" to have Type 1, imho.

14. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

I used to be pretty skinny. when I was diagnosed at 5 years old, I weighed 32lbs.

At 16, I was 5'7 135, which is slim but average. Then I started lifting weights when I turned 18 and I'm now fairly average at 5'8 142lbs. Too bad I think I've stopped growing. I guess I'll stay short :/

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  15. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm skinny.

Type 1 diabetic youth are more likely than nondiabetic peers to be both underweight and overweight.

16. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I'm plump and proud of it :)

17. Bigbluefrog

Do you find it harder to gain weight? The reason I think it's difficult, is adding fatty foods tends to run higher numbers in the bg which causes the body to produce ketones....fat burning.

Just a thought.

At the beginning.. type 1 diabetes caused such a significant weight loss, about 20 pounds in
    A few weeks.

I know what you mean about finding that pinch

18. Bigbluefrog

It does make it easier for finding spots for injections and insets.

Jess, you post in another forum too right? I have always enjoyed your posts.

Btw I am too;)

19. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

My thoughts exactly!

20. Bigbluefrog

Ambrea is 5 9" about 128 pounds.

I am having difficulties with insets bleeding, and wondering if others notice this slenderness in their teen.
    And I was hoping she could put on some weight to make insets easier.

Stomach area bleeds,
    Thighs bleed
    Arms...sometimes bleeds,
    We can't use the rump area due to her brace