- advertisement -

Is your family getting the H1N1 Vacc?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2two, Oct 11, 2009.

1. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I am 90% sure we are going to get it when the shipment comes in(NOT the live one though).

I think it will give me a great peace of mind that I did everything I could to keep my kids from getting it. It varies so much, some get it mild, and some die from it, do I really want to chance it? No.

I'll be emailing my CDE today and asking her opinion as well. If she says yes we'll do it for sure. Our ped. said he is getting it along with his 2 yr twins, 7 year old and wife.

So - what are you plans???

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

not getting it here.
    my kids have been exposed since Aug, I'm not sure, they may have had a mild case already.
    My kids don't handle vaccines well and I'm not wanting to give one so new, but that's just me

3. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

Yes, we will be getting one. We will get the shot not the nasal mist due to underlying medical problems.

4. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Nope! Just not safe IMO...:cwds:

5. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

We're leaning toward it, but not until the second batch of dead virus vaccine comes out. We're going to let others guinea pig it first. ;)

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

nope not here.. not for a while anyway.

7. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Absolutely not.

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

We will be getting it as soon as we are allowed to get it. I'd love to find it's available at Alex's college while we are out there for Parent's weekend b/c he still hasn't gotten the seasonal shot and I plan to get him that while we are there. He's just too busy to take the time to get it, he says. Last year, he waited until Winter break to get the regular flu shot; and with the H1N1, I'm afraid that will be too late.

I am way too afraid of what could happen to him or even to our nonD son if they don't get the vaccine.

9. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Ha totally. We're doing the dead one as well.

10. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I heard next years seasonal flu shot will include the H1N1 strain. My Aunt is a doctor and told me this. I found that interesting.

11. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

It will all be one shot next year. It would have been this year had the H1N1 hit a month or so sooner.

I was against it in the beginning but now yes we are all going to get it.

12. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

My mind is generally on my son here so I guess I should have mentioned, it's a no for the rest of the kids and the wife and I. The only reason #2 son will is because of the trial he is in. The overall affects on his autoimmune system are unsure, so the risk is much higher for him... not even counting his D.

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

14. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

15. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I will be getting it.

16. madde

madde Approved members

after reading some of the information in these articles, I am now leaning towards a no.

17. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

No I believe it was made too fast and so I choose not to get it.

18. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

It is made in the exact same way as the seasonal flu, with the same ingredients just a different strain of virus.

We'll be getting it as soon as it arrives. We always get the season flu shot with no problem. Each year the flu mutates, this year it mutated to H1N1. If it weren't for the media hype, it would just be another new strain in the seasonal flu shot.

19. spamid

spamid Approved members

Our pediatrician says yes, I want the endo's opinion as well. Our appt is oct 30th.

20. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

Our Health Dept. told me this info as well...and my answer is the same as yours. Scary either way IMHO :cwds: