- advertisement -

Is this normal??

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Victoria!, Jul 28, 2011.

1. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I love our CDE and Endo. This girls like the Endo better, but it's mostly because she is a complete and total angel and the first thing she does is hug and love on the girls and talk to them about everything but diabetes first, but the CDE is type 1 herself and is GOOD.

PLEASE READ THIS. IF YOU DON'T HAVE TRUST AND A GOOD WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR DIABETES TEAM...NO MATTER WHAT LETTERS THEY HAVE BEHIND THEIR NAME.....YOU DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THEM IN AN EMERGENCY SITUATION.

I have unfortunately dealt with every doctor and CDE at Vanderbilt over the last 12 years. The ones that know me, know I know exactly what I'm talking about and when I need to bring my girls in. I have done EVERYTHING at home that I can. I HATE having to waste time explaining everything i've done for the last 12 hours and getting someone who doesn't know me or my girls to "ok" a trip to the hospital!

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

We can see the endo anytime we want -- providing I book months in advance, which I did for YEARS. At those appts we also see the NP.

However booking an appt. for just the NP is much easier and I can get dd in fairly quickly. I often do this now.
    Love the endo, but the NP is very capable of crunching numbers and doing all the CDE things.

I would never stay with a healthcare professional that I didn't like and that I felt was undermining my desire for best possible care.

(Perhaps you can see how to book appts directly for the doctor.)

Another thought -- have you considered the MM pump? It has an intergrated CGM, which may be helpful.

3. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

DD was dx 01/07. We have only seen the NP since hospital discharge. Our DD loves her.

BTW, NP's have a master's degree. It requires additional schooling after the typical RN degree.

4. Andii

Andii Approved members

I agree with the others that if you are not comfortable with the NP, you should have the right to see someone else. As for the CGM, I would continue to pursue that with the endo. There is no reason to wait a year after pump start. I wouldn't have been able to start both at the same time, as there was a learning curve for both. I had more trouble with the insertion of both the infusion sets and the sensors than I did with the electronics (and of course dd figured out the settings etc in about 30 seconds...). Good luck!

5. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

We left the first practice because we never met the endos. Hanna was dxd in the pediatricians office and we were sent directly to the endos office. We saw a NP and CDE and the dr poked her head in for exactly 5 seconds. I found the office unresponsive, impossible to get on the phone, and when I was told we would get to see a dr 6 mons after dxd for the first time, I was done. We switched, love our practice, hannas dr is one of the fellows who is also type 1, we mostly see her but I'm ok with the NPs there if we see them. They actually answer the phone which is really all I want.

6. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

We see the CDE, NP, and another CDE they work together. We have been to the Endo's office (this is the Cleveland Clinic) 2 times now (dx'd 5/19). Both times we met with a team of CDE's who are also NP's and RN's and CPNP's. We have not seen the endo since she was in the hospital. I am fine with that as the team we see is terrific! One thing they do is make sure to include the endo, they say things like they will run it by the endo. So he is ultimately in charge and over seeing what is going on. When we were first home from the hospital and I was calling in her numbers every evening, it was the endo who returned my calls to discuss the numbers. The last time I called though it was the CDE/RN who called me back. I also have all their phone numbers and email's. One of the CDE/RN's has Type 1 herself since she was 6 years old. She is just terrific! Very positive person with lots of knowledge!! I don't know when we will see the endo next but we do go back in September for the next appt. Which can be a group appt. (if my dd wants to be apart of that) set up with 5 other girls that have T1D and they have a group session for everyone to talk about what is on their minds and answer questions and give the girls a chance to talk with other girls with T1D. None of these professionals we are working with have ever said anything negative about the endo or implied that they are changing the program to what they like. If I were you I would talk to the endo and if there is no other way for him to do things then I would start looking for a different team to build, doctor included. Best of Luck to you!

7. Victoria!

Victoria! Approved members

Thanks for all the input.... I really appreciate it.

As for the current state, I was able to talk to the endo, he put our start dates back to where they should be. Other than that, he basically said this is how he runs his practice...period. So for now, we will stay (changing immediately would make us basically re-do all the pump prep ed and start dates) but will begin the process of interviewing other Drs for the future. I figure this way we have time on our side and can make the best decision possible.

FYI...As to changes, she wanted to cut her lantus in half...until she read the chart after I protested...Sloppy work... Then decided she wanted to increase it. Yes I do know about the additional training CNP's have. I think for ME it is not just the "abrasiveness" factor but more of a clarity factor. It seemed like everything she said was double speak -like she was covering all bases...Ie the shirt is white, then 2 seconds later refers to it as a black shirt...Honestly one of the most frustrating appts I have ever had.

Oh well...Life goes on!

Thanks again for all the responses!