- advertisement -

Is this an unreasonable school reaction?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Sorry if long explanation, but bear with me - Andy's school shares a Nurse with the middle school and she spends most of her time at the middle school. There is a Nurse Tech at Andy's school everyday that has been trained on testing/drawing and giving shots/treatments of lows. However, only the Nurse is authorized to count carbs. Since she is almost never there, everyday, I plan and pack Andy's menu for lunch and snack and send it to school with the appropriate insulin dosages for the day. He calls me at each test with his BS and I add correction, if needed, then the nurse gives him the correct bolus. Today, his teacher was kind enough to give me a heads-up that on Friday (3 days from now), his class is having a special celebration, which will include cupcakes and juice brought by another mom. I emailed the nurse to see if she could count the carbs for that particular special snack since I don't know the size of the cupcakes (once the mom brings them, we can estimate carbs) or the type of juice (which the Nurse would have to check carb count and measure out) but she informed me that she has to be at the middle school that day so we are SOL (not her words, but that was the message). For Andy to participate, I will have to get the carb-counts ahead of time (which is probably doable if the mom in question knows what she's going to bring and I'll take care of it), but I'm frustrated that the ONE time I need the nurse there to count carbs so Andy has a normal experience, she says NO. Is it unreasonable for me to ask that the school provide an authorized person on this day to take care of Andy's needs? Would the presence of an authorized person be something covered and protected in a 504 plan? We don't have one because the school has been working with us for 3 years now without many incidents, but I feel like they need to be able to support his needs for a suprise/special event that his teacher is allowing to take place in his classroom. Any thoughts/feedback? If my expectations are too high, let me know. Carol - if you read this - it's Montgomery County so please PM me if you have any input/suggestions - thanks everyone!!

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I can't comment on if this is reasonable for the school to do this to you (but my gut reaction is NO, she should help your son more) as I have no experience in the school arena.

However, I did have some advice if this problem isn't resolved. Can you ask the teacher to connect you with the parent in charge of cupcakes and ask what type she is making/size OR where she is buying them and then what type juice she is buying. If you explain why I imagine she'd be happy to help you.

edited to add that I read more closely and see that you thought of that, sorry, sometimes I speed read and miss details! I hope you get some resolution, seems to me that the school is putting too much of the burden on you.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When in doubt just assume a cupcake is 20g and fix it later if it's wrong. Or have the teacher text you a photo of the cupcake and text back and estimate. Either was it's going to be a swag - yours, the nurses so it might as well be yours. Imho it''s far more important that your son not be excluded than the carb count be spot on.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

Yeah- Carol is reading this - LOL!

This nurse should have a back-up nurse who could do this. Seriously - what if you were sick and couldn't send his lunch and he ate the school lunch? The tech wouldn't be allowed to estimate the carbs on that. What if he doesn't eat something or drops it? Maybe they call you and you guess on the phone? What if you are busy that day? They have to have a back-up plan. Our school nurse has always offered to have a back-up nurse come if she couldn't be there for his lunch (she comes every day - he is her priority). A 504 would cover this - but the school is still responsible for being able to care for him at school. If you couldn't be reached and there was a problem, the tech would just do what?

I'd ask the nurse to send in a back-up nurse to be there for this.

In the short term - if you can't get ahold of the mom and the nurse balks at sending a back-up, I think it is ok to estimate the cupcake. There is a lot of room for error but I'd go with a typical bakery cupcake like you get at Safeway. My son is allergic to peanut/etc. so he can't have these sorts of treats so I have safe treats at school for him instead. The other option is to drop off a treat he LOVES and a juice box - and let that be his treat. This depends on your child of course - he might not like to have something different.

I'd just get this worked out and then make getting the 504 a different issue. You know I'm going to say to get a 504!;)

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

This seems like an easy enough solution.

Just curious why the nurse tech can't count the carbs?? Some parents here have grade school kids who can do it to some extent (NOT me, though!:rolleyes:)...why is she trusted to administer insulin but not read a nutrition label or read a Calorie King book or to call you if she has a question?:confused:

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

1. Time for a 504. It doesn't make sense to have a part-time authorized carb counter.
    2. What I would do is send a scale that day, with a carb factor for the cupcake. The juice should have the carbs on it, and they can estimate ounces based on cup size if they aren't juice boxes.

7. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Our district doesn't even have a in school nurse just one that oversees his Logs on a weekly basis. A para carb counts for him if need be. He is packing his lunch this year to keep things consistent dealing with puberty is enough of a challenge:rolleyes:. ,anyway I second that you definitely need a 504 and they defiantly need to have someone there to count carbs. Jared does not have a 504 he has a health care plan attached to his IEP but it covers him in the same way. That is why he has a para.

8. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

If having someone there does not get resolved, I agree with the estimating 20 carbs for the cupcake, and maybe send in a juice box so you'd know for sure for at least that. I know we try to make sure our kids are included as much as possible, but so many kids bring in their own stuff because of allergies, that they are getting used to seeing other kids bring in their own snacks to parties. The last two kid parties I was at, there were kids that brought their own cake, pizza, and drinks, because of allergies.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Under the Maryland nurse practice act, the nurses interpret it to mean that only a nurse can count carbs. I cannot remember the exact terms in the document - but anything to do with having to think to determine a dose - then you need a nurse. If the dose or item is a set amount (no thinking needed) - or if they can follow the pump - then that is ok.

The child can be allowed to count the carbs (if the kid is old enough or able but the nurse has to agree to this) - or the child could call the parent and describe the item and the parent could guess at the carbs. Or the child would probably be allowed to bring in a cell phone to be kept in the office - and given to them to take a photo of the said cupcake and send it to the parent.

By this time - the party is over!:p

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

If you can't go to the party to help, I would just see if your son or the health clerk could talk you through what he wants so that you could do an educated guess. Most cupcakes are 30 grams unless their really big or small...I would send a diet drink if it was me. :)

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Thanks for the explanation!:)

12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Have some one text you a picture of the plate of food and estimate carbs.

13. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'd also suggest the 504 get done if it's not. It makes no sense to have someone who is not "authorized to count carbs." That's a silly technicality.

But in the meantime, I'd just estimate. We do a large cupcake with lots of frosting as 25 or 30 and a small supermarket mini as 15. Juice will have a label - I'm sure it will be pouches or boxes, but even if it's taken from a bottle the cups will have sizes on them.

You can do it. Don't sweat it. (its even great that the teacher calls this far in advance. You're already far ahead of what most of us had. )

14. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

Heather and Mish gave great advice!