- advertisement -

Is there anyone out there with 2 diabetic children?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by trickyw72, Mar 13, 2008.

1. trickyw72

trickyw72 Approved members

Hi,

My name is Tracy & I'm new to this forum. I live in Australia & have two beautiful boys .. both with Type 1. My eldest is 4 years old & was diagnosed June 2007. My littlest turned one last week & was diagnosed in January 2008.

I was just curious to know how many are dealing with two young children with diabetes like I am. I feel like I'm living & breathing finger prick tests! My baby is on an Animas pump & I'm finding it to be a HUGE amount of hard work. I've had to resign from my job to cope with it all.

Cheers,
    Tracy

2. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

Hi Tracy and welcome to the board. There are a couple people on here with more then one child with D, I'm so sorry to hear of both your son's recent diagnosis with D. It does get easier. I only have one child and he had T1D, I cant imagain the amount of work and stress it is to care for 2 small children with d.

Again welcome, and HUGE HUGS to you and your family!!!!

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Hey Tracy

I'm not a parent, but just wanted to say hi from another Aussie! I'm sorry to hear that both your sons have D, but this forum is awesome and very supportive, so I'm glad you've found us. There are several families here with more than 1 child diagnosed.
    I'm pumping too, it is a lot of work but it's definitely worth it :cwds:

4. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Hi Tracy,

I have 2 children with diabetes also. I can't offer you any advice at this point though because the second child was just diagnosed on Feb. 24. My youngest, Lilly, is 5 & was diagnosed at 23 months in May, 2004. My oldest, Ben just turned 10 on March 10 & was diagnosed 2 weeks before. Lilly has been pumping w/ Minimed since Aug. 2005 & Ben is on Lantus & Humalog right now. He will be starting on the pump by the end of this month & we can't wait. The pump has made things so much easier with Lilly since we started using the Sure-T's instead of Silhouettes & we are hoping it will make Ben's life easier too! Hopefully things will get easier for you & your children. I think we all just need time to adjust once again to this huge change in our lives!

5. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Hi Tracey,

I have two sons with D, although they are older than your little ones. Andrew, my youngest, was dx'd this past June, Brian 3 years ago.

There are a couple of things that help me out tremendously:

1. Both boys are on the same equipment and pattern of set changes. We have "Set Change Night" every two days for the both of them. They lay down on the bed, we do one, then the other, finished. A dishwasher safe tray with sides helps to carry everything without spilling.

2. I have totally cleaned out a set of cupboards to hold all of their (identical) supplies. Same meters, same lancets, same strips, same infusion sets.

3. I have a small basket that holds their meters, pencils, and log books and this basket travels to the dinner table, picnic table, whereever we are eating at home, so that we have quick access to it. You could tuck a calorie king book in there, too, or whatever you need to get you through a meal. We have a computer on the counter, so we rarely use the book.

4. Since they have the same log books, I have taken a Sharpie (permanent marker) and colored the edges of the pages so that Andrew's is always red, and Brian's is always blue. Similarly, I have taken masking tape and labelled their meter cases, inside and out in blue and red marker for quick identification. I am hoping to do something cooler when the new linked meters are approved like sew-on patches that they pick out.

5. I bought a large bag to carry everything we need when we leave the house. It is very organized. My hubby laughs, it is an ammo-hunting-field bag from Orvis, but holds each boy's meter and log books separately with more room for tabs, granola bars, fruit leather and even my wallet :). Also, since it is an ammo bag, hubby will carry it :D

I know how you feel about living and breathing diabetes. It is such a challenge with two. You will figure out how to organize yourselves to make life a little easier.

My heart goes out to you and your boys.

6. karonray

karonray Approved members

me two too, pun intended

I have a boy dx'd aug 19th 2003, he was 10, now almost 15.
    I have a girl dx'd aug 5th 2004, she was 7 , now 11.

Like the post before , we have the same supplies for them.

Even though we have the same supplies , thier D doesn't always act the same.

Since the girl is a girl she has a bit more hormoanal issues, but the boy growing has different issues. So even though they are sibblings doesn't mean thier D is the same.

Feel free to contact me anytime you want to vent.

7. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

Hi, Tracy.

I have two girls with diabetes, also. They use all the same things too. Same pump, same meter. I also usually change pump sets together like Mary Lou. Except last night Michelle's site fell off after her bath.:rolleyes:

I've been using a small backpack to carry there meter kits in and low supplies when we go anywhere, I just throw my wallet in it instead of a purse.

Kimberly was dx'd at 2 years old and had diabetes for 6 years, then her little sister was dx'd at 4 years old. I know it must be tough with 2 very little ones. Since Kimberly was very experienced when Michelle was dx'd she helps me take care of her and shows her what to do. I hope you have some family or friends that can help you out from time to time so you can get a chance to take care of yourself. It helps to get a little break once in a while, if only for a couple hours to get out. :cwds:

8. Sue too

Sue too Approved members

Dx within 24 hrs of each other!

My two were dx the almost the same day. One at 2 1/2, then my 7 1/2 year old. This was over 10 years ago.

My first impulse is to shout two words: COLOR CODE!

get some colored permanent markers and identify each meter, lancet, log book, you name it.

Do your best to stick with the pump. I remember so well "force feeding" my young one to "feed the insulin".

If you don't have a support network, my wish is that you are able to build one. As a single mom at the time, mine was what kept me going when I thought I could no longer.

Please know that life will normalize. Us "veterans" can attest to that.

Hang in there.

9. Sue too

Sue too Approved members

Oh, and

Like karonray said about their d being different. I can attest to that too.

My kids are pretty much opposites. What works for one doesn't work for the other. One has dawn while the other doesn't. Pizza wacks one out and barely affects the other.

10. Mary Lou

jennifer brings up a good point. Diabetes is hard enough with one never mind two. Please reach out to your family and friends. Let them help you. I have learned to allow people who love me to help me.

I have also learned to let many things like laundry pile up a bit!

Now, more than ever you need to take care of yourself. I know how impossible that might seem, but try.

Also remember that we are here to do what we can.

11. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

I have two also:

a daughter, now 14, dx'd Sep 2001
    a son, now 16, dx'd Jan 2006

It DOES get easier when they get older. I help dd analyze her numbers and sometimes provide both with carb counts (they can do it without help, though), and I keep track of their supplies and appointments.

Deborah

12. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Hi Tracy!
    I don't have two children with D, just one. But I just wanted to post real quick and say Welcome to the forum!
    You'll find some fellow Australians here! I hope they see your post and chime in, but I think they have one child with D so I don't know if they'll read your thread.
    Have you seen this part of the forums? You might find someone that lives by you.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

13. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

We have Two Too

14. trickyw72

Thanks everyone

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your replies. It's of comfort to know that I'm not alone with the two of them & also that it gets easier as they get older .. it can't get any harder that's for sure!

Mary Lou - I watched your You Tube movie & it moved me to tears. I'm a bit of a basket case at the moment though. We also did the JDRF Walk last October & raised $1500. I hope to double it this year!

I'm going to have loads of questions for you all. First of all though .. did you all go through the "grieving" process twice? The second diagnosis was a real struggle for me & I'm only just coming to terms with it now after nearly 2 months. It's just so hard to see your baby taking finger pricks .. those tiny little hands.

Also, Hudson had a bad HBA1C of 8.9 a couple of weeks ago, which really upset me. I think he needs a pump too. Is it double the work having both of them on a pump?

Soooo many questions! Thanks again & I'm so glad I discovered this great forum.

Tracy

15. Mary Lou

Hi Tracy,

Loads of tears went into making the video, but it felt good when it was over and it did help us to raise a lot of $$.

I've been thinking about you all day!!

We certainly did go through the grieving process twice and I believe it was much harder the second time around. The first time, we were in such a daze trying to figure everything out that the reality took a while to sink in. The second time it hit us like the proverbial truck.

I am glad that both boys are on pumps. It makes the day to day easier, and school and playdates, too. Mealtimes are smoother with just buttons to push and we generally check them on the same schedules at night time. I think the "extra" work of two set changes is minimal. Once you get a rhythm going it only adds a few extra minutes.

The real time sink is in the unexpected -- one is low, the other is high, they need to catch the bus.... It took forever and a day to get out of the house.

But like all things in life, you rise to the challenge, figure it out, and move on.

Don't stress too much over the A1C, you'll have another chance in three months.

16. Sue too

Sue too Approved members

Watched the Video

Mary Lou,

I also watched your video. After 10 years I don't cry so much, but I did tonight. I plan on saving that link and sending it to folks when it's time to do our walk here in Sept.

Thank you.

17. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I'm surprised only one of them is on the pump, I definitely think it would be easier if both were.
    I see your other son is on Protophane (known as NPH in the US) Is he on a set meal plan? That makes things even harder. NPH is an older insulin, and is often referred to as Not Particularly Helpful around here. It has nasty peaks, and is not very flexible. If you can't get Hudson on a pump, I would definitely suggest looking into switching to Lantus, it definitely brings better control than Protophane (NPH)

18. trickyw72

Thank you

Mary Lou - thank you, I was also thinking of you all day after watching your movie. Thanks ever so much for the advice .. yes, I imagine having both on a pump would be good. We have been happy with Hudson's management for the past 8 months, but he is slowly coming out of the honeymoon & becoming more unpredictable. He starts school next year, so I don't know whether to wait until he settles in there, or change before then?

We went straight to a pump with Archer because of his age. He was only 10 months when dx'd & I just couldn't imagine ... like someone here said "feeding the insulin" with him. We still haven't nailed his basal/bolus rates & it's a constant work in progress. We're up to week 6 with the pump now & I don't know if my expectations were too high, but I'm still nowhere near happy with it.

Miss_behave - I hear what you're saying about Protaphane. Yes, it can be unpredictable, but we seem to know the times that it peaks & it has worked ok. I might talk to the Dr about changing to Lantus though. Levemir is another one that they use here in Aus with a flatter profile than Protaphane. Do they use that in the US?

Had better get myself some sleep before the night time testing regime starts over again! I told you I'd have lots of questions ;).

Many thanks to you all,
    Tracy

19. Mary Lou

:) We started Brian on the pump during the summer before he went into grade 2 (he was dx'd half way through grade 1). It worked well for us, and given the craziness of getting the school prepared for his D care, I'm glad we had the pump stuff in place first.

Andrew's pancreas is sputtering and spurting insulin at the craziest of times, and I share your pain in the honeymoon process. Believe it or not, it is easier than not having a honeymoon at all. I know, as Brian didn't have one. :rolleyes:

It does take a while to work any new regime into your life so please be patient with yourself and the pump. Once you have figured it out and are more comfortable with understanding the basals and boluses, you will realize why so many people rave about it. (or, maybe you'll find a different path that will be better for you, as many others here have done as well).

Are you in close contact with your endo? I hope they are working hard on helping you with the pump! We were on Lantus/humalog for a while with Brian and found that to be a vast improvement over NPH.

Well, I gotta go get ready for skiing and snowboarding lessons. I hope you had a good night and have a good day today.

20. Mary Lou

You are very welcome! I hope it helps your walk. We are all working together for that day when our children can say, "Hey, remember when we had diabetes?"