- advertisement -

Is their anything worse than forcing juice at 3am?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Wendyb, Jun 3, 2009.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

we don't have too much of a problem, in fact, sometimes Sam will tell us what he would like to treat the low at night.

My friend was married to a man who would go very low at night and not wake up---she would pour pixie sticks in his mouth, she said he would instinctively suck and when he got above a certain amount would wake up and drink juice.

2. juliesmom

juliesmom Approved members

Try cake decorating gel. Just squeeze it right in and it will be absorbed, no chewing or swallowing necessary. We don't get too many night time lows but this worked for us last night. I let it kick in a little and then got her to drink a little juice. This morning she was low again and hard to wake up, so I grabbed a little box of Nerds (15 carbs) and walked back to her room shaking it - I HAVE NEVER SEEN HER WAKE UP SO FAST! Not even on Christmas morning!

I do try to get her to drink milk to bring her and keep her blood sugar up, but we were out:eek:Going to the store today.

3. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

It's funny that you should mention this. I made it through 25 years without a cavity at all until after my second son was born. The first night home with him, I had to drink 3 12oz bottles of grape juice over the course of the night. Every couple hours when he needed to feed, I would check my BG and it would be in the 40s. (Another funny: it's not pretty at all combining the sleep deprivation of having a newborn with the ALL-NIGHT-LOWs of losing the pregnancy hormones. I was pretty close to hallucinating...) It was bad the first few weeks, and much worse than what I remembered with my first son. Perhaps I was so hypo then that I just can't remember how bad it was? :eek: After a couple months I was able to get back on track with my overnight basals and get where I didn't need any juice or food at all. But really, I would have been brushing my teeth 7 or 8 times throughout the night if I were to have kept up with it. Attempting to sleep was much more important. :)

By the time I was stable I had two cavities. I've always been on top of my dental health, but those lows really did a number on my teeth.

4. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

Kaylie will drink from a straw but sometimes it is a fight. What I found is if I warm the milk or juice a little bit she won't wake up. Gogurt tubes work good too since they can suck it out. Sometimes if she is really asleep I'll rub her cheek and quietly ask her to drink.

5. allisa

allisa Approved members

maybe I just luck out...but....I never have a problem getting Ty to drink...he doesn't even wake up !! He litereally drinks in his sleep !

Tricks.....I rarely speak to him....I don't wake him....I leave him in his bed, stick the straw in his mouth and say drink....I don't kiss him goodnite, turn on lights, nothing...I'm in, I'm out.....
    good luck !

6. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

This is the only reason i still let Yossi take a bottle. It makes night time lows a little easier to treat while he's still asleep.

7. ianmom

ianmom Approved members

Ian is fine with eating or drinking once he does test in the night, but getting him to test in the middle of the night OMG :eek: Since he was diagnosed at 11, I have never once tested his bg myself. He has done it himself since day one. I don't think I could do it myself without waking him. So when I feel he needs to test in the night it is a HUGE STRUGGLE :mad: Usually takes about a half an hour of pleading, threatening, and bribing!

8. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

The only thing I'd like to add is that there is a Glucose Drink on the market that is very fast sugar/low liquid. In just 2 ounces, there are 16 carbs. Andrew only needs 1 ounce to bring him up, Brian takes 2.

They are by Reli-On, and I buy them at Wal-Mart.

i know that doesn't help with your initial post, but if you can only get a few sips in, make those sips count!!

we are also fans of the temp basal to bring up lows. It is always our first step.

9. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

what's worse? ummmm.....treating a low teenager? I've gotten the crap beat out of me by my older D. She's 14 and is taller and bigger than me. When she's low, she's combative in the middle of the night. Sometimes my younger one's dog tries to "protect" her by positioning himself between me and her.....it can be quite a comedy at our house for middle of the night checks! But I agree...coaxing a sleepy toddler to drink juice is not fun. I have the best luck with the juice boxes with the bendy straws (like many others have mentioned)

10. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

I have been using bananas. Gosh, I can't tell you how much I love having them in the house now.

11. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Travis is amazing and will drink and eat on command. It's "funny" to watch him eating peanut butter crackers in the middle of the night! He's eating is very exaggerated for some reason. I always try to make sure he gets a big bite of the cracker, too.

Kylie, on the other hand, fights the drink. What I've done is gotten the straw in her mouth and then gently squeezed some of the juice in. Her reflex is to immediately begin swallowing. Then generally she will finish the juice on her own, but if not, I squeeze some more in until I'm satisfied she's drank enough.

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

No, waking Seth up to eat or drink the one of the things I hate most about D:(

13. Cls2352

Cls2352 Approved members

Lol, that's the truth!

For us, my son won't drink. Just not, and never was, a drinker. So night time snacks are those Keebler Grasshopper cookies (the chocolate mint girl-scout cookie wannabes). Works like a charm - although he's lightly bitten his fingers a few times looking for the cookie when his eyes are still closed... ;)

14. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann was 13 at diagnosis and usually tested herself, but if she needed to be tested at night she preferred that I do it. (even when she was in college,if home). She almosty always slept thru it and would drink juice or eat a Rice Krispie treat--all without waking up.