- advertisement -

Is their anything worse than forcing juice at 3am?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Wendyb, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

Well....I guess a low/seizure would be worse. Still....thought I would vent since I'm having a rough d-week, month...whatever. If I could just get that little straw in his mouth and make him drink.....I really dislike the fight. Anyone else have trouble with this? I tried a glucose tab and then found it on the floor the next morning---kinda like a cat spitting out a pill.

2. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

I wish I had a helpful reply for you but just got hugs to send your way. I know exactly how you feel. No matter how I try I can't get anything into Meghan once she's been asleep. She just cries and I try but it's nearly impossible and heartbreaking. If ?ou ever find a good way please let me know.

3. linda

linda Approved members

Hi-Sorry you have to go through this...((((hugs))))....but you are right ...a seizure is MUCH worse...Em has gotten used to her night checks, either my dh or i have checked her every night for 2 years since her seizure....she drinks in her sleep lol..she has a frig in her room, filled with juice boxes, water etc. Have you tried other things while he is awake? The new gels or small fast acting drinks?....sugar cubes (melt in his mouth)...(Not good for teeth:().....or you can look into the mini doses of glucagon if you may need)...good luck...;)

4. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

Hi - I could have written this thread! Chris has had a few highs since he started on his pump a few weeks ago. I cut the straw and coax and coax mini sips. I think my son is older - so maybe it is a little easier. I wish there was a cream or something we could just rub on!! :)

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

What about a big cut in insulin by unhooking for 30 minutes if not to low?

6. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

For those middle of the night lows here's what has worked for us. (Beggining at toddler age.)

I have always put the little bendy straw that comes with the juice boxes in my D's mouth and gently rub her forehead with the palm of my hand. I think rubbing the forehead is key. She just starts drawing on the straw and drinking without fully waking up.

Sometimes I will say "here's some juice" softly. But I try not to wake her. She hears me and responds, without waking. Not sure this will work for anyone else, but it it does for us. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  7. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

I can't get Andrew to take anything in the night and I was thinking about trying on of those medicine pacifiers with the liquid glucose.

8. 22jules

22jules Approved members

I don't have a little one but what about those little tubes of frosting squirted in mouth? Or glucose gel rubbed into cheek? I just make mine sit up and drink. We were fighting some good lows last night--gave her milk at my bedtime and again at 3am (she was not below 70 so I did the milk). She looks at me and says "Again?" Poor thing!

9. ADHDiabetic Mom

ADHDiabetic Mom Approved members

Yeah, trying to get them to drink juice when they're just coming out of a seizure and can't figure out what you want them to do is really tough, too. Especially when the kid is twice your size! :cwds:

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

I hate treating night-time lows. Corrections are so much easier because they sleep through that. I know of no way to get sugar into my kid without waking him. We don't use straws. We have him eat something or drink from a cup. Usually he's hard to rouse and very grumpy about it. The other night, though, he sat right up, drank the juice and said, "Hmmm... that's good." He slurped it down and promptly collapsed and went right back to sleep. I wish it was always like that. :p

I think people sort of get what a PITA diabetes is when you tell them about having to wake a child from a deep sleep on a school night and forcing them to eat candy. Then they realize how totally insane our existence is.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It is VERY hard to get Jack to eat in his sleep. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get him to drink. One night we had a low that we couldn't get up, and I was just baffled. The next day I found Life Savers all over his bed.

I HATE lows at night, because he just cries and fights. It one of the only things that still breaks my heart - when I have to be stern (and even gently pat/slap his face) to get him to wake up enough to eat. HATE it.

12. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

We use the little juice boxes for night time lows because I usually don't have to move her at all to get the straw in her mouth. At first I had to stick the straw in her mouth and tell her, "Charlotte, drink this!" in my sternest, quietest voice. :p She'd wake up just enough to drink it. A few times she was not happy about waking up. She's gotten used to it now so she automatically starts sucking whenever anything goes in her mouth at night. She doesn't even wake up anymore. I tried to give her a glucose tab not too long ago, and she just kept sucking on it like a straw and wouldn't open her mouth to chew. It was actually pretty funny.

He may get used to it, especially if you use the same thing to treat night-time lows.

13. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

I've been kicked and whacked quite a few times trying to rouse Janie enough to drink. Ouch! If I stick a straw to her lips she usually shys away from it and rolls over. I end up having to wake her enough to sit up and drink. I really should try the frosting... I wonder if I'd lose a finger in the process, though.

Good ludk, all!

14. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

My DD finally told me, "Don't give me juice bring me a Yoo-Hoo Of course, I complied. :D

There is something weird about making sure your child brushes their teeth before bed to prevent cavities. AND THEN, forcing them to drink or eat something sugary in their sleep. Makes me shake my head. Of course, cavities is MUCH better than the ill effects of a bad low!!!

15. simom

simom Approved members

We gave up on juice at night - he was never much of a juice kid to begin with. For a while we did ice cream (because in our family, a three year old will be happy to eat ice cream, even if you woke him up in the middle of the night to do it.)

Then, we went through a big marshmallow phase (I don't remember how that got started, other than that it was easy to calculate, since each big marshmallow is 6 carbs)

Now, we use chocolate milk - he can drink 1/2 cup (usually through a bendy straw) in about 5 seconds, and go right back to sleep. Also, I like that I can measure it to different amounts (1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, etc.) depending on how low he is, and I can see how much of it he drank. I could never tell, when we were doing juice boxes, how much was really left.

I put him on my lap, wrapped in his blanket, to drink it. Sometimes he wakes up a bit, other times he just snuggles and sips and never really wakes up.

Sometimes he is still resistant, if he was deep asleep, but usually I just say "time for a little chocolate milk break" and if necessary "your body is low, we need to have a little drink"

If he actually wakes up, sometimes he will ask for something different.

Of course, we also have the times when he is NOT low, but he wakes up from the finger poke, and then demands something to eat . . . .those are sometimes the more difficult interactions for us.

16. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Unless my daughter is in the 50's we just cut the basal rate down to the lowest setting. If she is 60-70 we do it for two hours, if she is 70-80 for 1 hour. It works almost always for us. Under 50 is a juice box (1/2)

17. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Can't offer much help, so just hugs and hope that it gets better. Ethan is the soundest sleeper of our children, but whenever I have had to treat a night time low, it hasn't been too bad getting him to wake up, take whatever I'm offering (have done both juice and glucose tabs chased with water), and then almost immediately fall back to sleep.

18. Jenneve

Jenneve Approved members

Jack is so hard to wake to treat for a night time low sometimes. We generally have to use something like Coke if he's below 60 because it's the only thing that will bring him up sufficiently. Then we have to deal with next morning highs. *sigh* We've tried milk & juice since they don't usually cause the highs later, but they just don't seem to bring him up very quickly unless he's only in the 70's or so. I do give him food or glucose tabs at night only if he's already awake (staying up late), but for the most part...it's coke. Sometimes if he's awake enough I'll have him go to the bathroom to rinse afterward to try to ward off any more cavities! He's already had to have several fillings. :(

19. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

This was us last night...through the course of the night, I turned the basal off for an hour, cut it back for the other hours, and still had to give her 8oz of chocolate milk, 4oz of juice, and about 15 Skittles just to keep the bg above 70. We've never had a low that stubborn!

May I just say that four hours of intensive cheerleading practice is shaping up to be a killer in the overnights!

20. Sari

Sari Approved members

Wow, guess I am lucky, so to speak. Ross will down an entire Chocolate entemann's donut and sippy cup of milk in his sleep if I need him to and he won't wake up! He doesn't even remember eating it the next morning.