- advertisement -

Is the insulin still good in a Pod that came off for a few days?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buckmarko, Aug 27, 2012.

1. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

First day of school today. We changed his Pod this morning about 7:45. About noon he went to the nurse bc his pod was beeping at him saying unable to deliver insulin. He did a pump change at school, and instead of withdrawing the insulin from the pump, he put new insulin in. My question is, can I use that insulin for the next pod change in 3 days after it has already been in a pump that was injected in him? Should I refrigerate it then bring it to room temp? I'll make sure I call Insulet too.
    Thanks so much.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's good for 30 days once "opened" and at room temp. No reason why it wouldn't be ok if you are short.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We have used it - never after 3 days but if the pod fails or falls off the day of change or next day. I've seen it mentioned that it says not to in the manual but we've never had an issue.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

There "shouldn't" be anything wrong with it but my biggest concern would be sterility - you just can't clean the port to get it out like you can a vial.

My personal recommendation is, unless you run out of insulin before the 30 days are up, then leave it in there.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I personally have only pulled out insulin from a pod if it was within a few hours of a pod change. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it after 3 days. If you are running low on insulin, call your doctor and ask them to increase your prescription.