- advertisement -

Is placing an angled infusion set manually scary/more painful?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter is going to start a saline trial of the T-Slim tomorrow. In speaking with the rep, I mentioned that the pump class CDE said that she'll need an angled infusion set due to her lack of "chub" in most places. She said she'd be sure to bring an angled set for her.

She wore a silhouette infusion set when she saline trialed the Medtronic pump and they used the insertion device.

I know that Silhouette, Inset 30 and Comfort/Comfort Short are all basically the same thing and that we can order the inset 30's that have the insertion device if we go with the T Slim, but the Tandem website shows Comfort/Comfort short as the available angled sets, so I'm presuming the rep won't be showing up with an Animas set for her to use for the trial.

If it's scary or painful, should I prepare her mentally for the manual insertion? Or should I just say to use the Cleo's to avoid a manual insertion? It's just saline, so if it kinks it kinks.

If it matters, she does all of her own shots (with either a 6mm syringe or a 4mm pen) and she does them excruciatingly slowly to me. Would that lead you to believe that maybe manual won't be all bad? Those needles just look so long and thick!

2. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I have to be completely honest. My daughter was extremely scared of the manual insertion sets. We used the comforts in the very beginning because that's what the dr wanted. My husband had to hold her down and it was very frustrating. She was so scared that she sounded like something so much worse was happening to her. We switched to the inset 30s and the regular insets and she has no problem whatsoever. They have both been life savers. I don't know if I could've continued to use the comforts seeing my daughter's reaction to them.

JUST so you know, from our experience, the best insertion set depends on where we're putting it on the body. The regular insets work absolutely wonderfully on her butt (even though they don't recommend straight in cannula sets for children or skinny people, both of which my daughter is) but we have to use the inset 30s for her thighs because there's just no fat.

We use the 6mm 23inch tubing regular insets and the 13mm 23inch tubing inset 30s

I wouldn't even bother with the manual insertion sets if you don't have to use them

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Honestly yes. I would advise against manual angled sets as the FIRST pump site unless you're using numbing creme. They hurt more especially if not inserted quickly. I would use a site with an inserter for the trial such as an Inset 30 or a straight set.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I agree with the suggestion to start with a set with an inserter.

Are you doing the training at your endo's office? Maybe they have some other sets you can try.

FWIW, my son is very skinny and we use the straight insets. He wears his site on his bum and his lower back / love handle area.

5. mamattorney

This is not real training, just a saline trial. She (the Tandem rep) is coming to our house tomorrow morning.

My guess is that she'll have the Cleo and the comfort/comfort shorts with her tomorrow. I doubt she'll have Inset 30's since those are an Animas product, but you never know. I don't have any numbing cream in the house, so I can't do that either.

I'll just have her use a Cleo. I certainly do not want to traumatize my daughter when it's not necessary.

6. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

FWIW, we use a lunch box freeze gel pack (or you could use ice) to numb the area before site insertions. Good luck!

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our Comfort Shorts are distributed by Animas, so I'd say it's just as likely that she'll have Inset 30s as Comfort Shorts.

We prefer the manually inserted sites, but we use numbing creme no matter what sites we use.

8. mamattorney

Oh, I hope so; I didn't realize that Comforts are an Animas product, too (and Contact Detach, too now that I look). I was just going off of the infusion sets Tandem had on their website.

9. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

They're not - they're made and sold by unomedical. Animas happens to be one source for them, but they're not the only one and those sets aren't sold under the Animas name.

10. mamattorney

OK, it's obvious that I have no experience with insulin infusion sets and have no idea what I am talking about. :D First, I thought it was Medtronic and everyone else, then I thought Tandem would only work with what they listed on their website and finally I thought that the different sets were made by specific companies. I was looking at this spreadsheet from Diabetes Forecast Magazine (just so I don't look insane):

http://forecast.diabetes.org/files/images/v66n01_p56-57_0.pdf

Seems I'm not right on any of these (maybe Medtronic vs. all the others). That's OK; the fact that things are so fluid sounds great for my purposes. :)

Anyway, I'm just crossing my fingers that the rep shows up tomorrow with some kind of angled set with an inserter, or failing that, a straight in set with an inserter.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I much prefer inserting angled sets manually to using the inserter. The one that comes with silhouettes is this crazy spring loaded 'thing'. It doesn't seem to fire eith any control and I can get a much smoother insertion manually. I'd recommend trying to distract her while you do the insertion, because seeing it is likely to make it seem scarier than it is, but I wouldn't say that manual insertion is a problem in itself. Lots of people actually prefer it.

12. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

DD was 11 when she started pumping and she manually inserted the angled sites herself (she would not let me even try). Our Medtronic rep showed her how and off she went. She did not like the noise of the inserter. She was very thin and muscular at the time, but could still use all the recommended site areas. We used the Comfort sites as we could buy 20 sites with 10 tubings and save lots of money. For the last couple of years, she preferred the ease of the Mios.

13. wondertwins211

wondertwins211 Approved members

We use the t:Slim and use the Inset 30's. We tried the regular straight set Inset (90's) but ended up with lots of kinked cannulas. The inset 30 comes with its own insertion device (pop the cap, pull the "trigger" and squeeze the sides). We really like them. You can use any infusion set with a luer lock connection with the t:Slim. DD is four and is very thin (34 lbs, I think)...so, we have problems looking for "real estate," too. We usually use her love handles or her back (right above her waistline). Good luck!

14. mamattorney

Update - we had our meeting/intro with the T:slim rep. She was super nice and this meeting really covered a lot of aspects of the pump including loading the cartridge and setting basal patterns (two things Medtronic didn't cover in a hands on way).

Anyway, as I suspected/feared, she came in with a Cleo and with a comfort short (manual insertion). She talked about the manual insertion with no bias, just said it was like giving an injection. I gave Kaylee the choice - do you want to use the Cleo with the inserter or do you want to use the manual one. She said she wanted to use the manual one because she wanted to have more control over it going in (as I said in my first post, she does her own injections and puts the needle in excruciatingly slowly - to me - every time). She did one on the cushion and did the next one on herself - again so slowly. I asked her which one she liked better and she said the manual one by far.

I guess there are two kinds of people in this world - people who rip bandaids off in one motion and those who remove them bit by bit by bit. She's definitely a bit by bit-er and I'm a ripper. I should know by now not to assume my preferences will match hers.

So all's well than ends well, and she's all hooked up to the T:slim for somewhere from 4 to 6 days (they want us to do a cartridge change on our own).

15. Mish

Mish Approved members

yes, we area manual inserters and have been since day one of pumping. I like the control it gives over how it's inserted and the angle in which we can insert. My son actually also likes it done slowly too. He was not a fan of the thing being shot out at him like a harpoon. ;)

16. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

FWIW...

But the anticipation of the inserter "harpooning" into me is worse than the actual insertion itself and freaks me out. I've been doing manual insertion using the Silouettes since I started pumping. Like someone said earlier, I like the control that I have in doing this myself and controlling the angle and rate of insertion. I've gone back and tried the plastic devices they send, and have tried 90 degree ones, and just can't stand those.

Granted, I'm an adult and not a kid... so there's that. But I'm also a guy who is terrified of bees and it's almost traumatic to think of a Medtronic sensor that has a bee-like look with the striped part and "stinger" coming at me...

17. missmakaliasmomma

Good for her, that's awesome! I'm one of those people that would do it slow on myself too, doesn't bother me at all. I wish my daughter was more like that!! lol. Whatever works for her. If she can do the comforts by herself, she can do anything :D

18. mamattorney

The pump rep gave us an extra comfort set so I could try one. My daughter inserted it on my belly yesterday after dinner. She was so excited to do it, too - honestly, if it made her happy I swear I'd put one in every three days. The slow and steady method wasn't too bad at all. It did feel like an injection to be honest; and now that I know the actual pain level, I won't feel so bad doing it for her in places she can't reach. Slowly, of course. Win-win really.

19. Mish

Mish Approved members

This is such an overlooked thing. I urge all parents to try the items they are sticking on their kids.

20. missmakaliasmomma

That's a must for me. I've tried all of her infusion sets too. When she was first diagnosed, I tried the needles too. I didn't think the comforts hurt either but I think the problem was my daughter was just anticipating them hurting her because they aren't quick like the automatic insertion ones. I kept telling her " I know they don't hurt I tried them" Didn't make a difference lol. Straight in seems to work better for us though, even though technically, it should be the angled that work better