- advertisement -

Is it the heat?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kellykate, Jun 21, 2012.

1. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

So we've had a couple days of high 90 degree temps -- we have a window a/c unit but our house has been toasty as well. DD's bg has been running low--for no apparent reason.

Yesterday she spent the majority of the day just a little low in the 70's and 80's --I got her back up in the 100's for bedtime and she stayed in the 100's for the night checks.

Today however she has been in the 60's a couple times and we have been giving her free snacks (which we never do because typically her system is super-sensitive --a couple uncovered carbs send her soaring). Before bed she was 71 --gave her a good portion of milk and will check often.

Anyhow, my question is could the heat cause this? Any other ideas?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's been my experience that anytime the body has to work extra hard to maintain normal temps it uses more glucose. So in extreme cold and extreme heat, my dd tends to run low.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

yes it is very hot here in toronto too.

the city has been under an extreme heat alert for the last few days.

Right now it is 30 degrees celcius inside my apartment and 34 degrees outside.

I am sitting here sweating like a pig - if you'll pardon the expression.

I wonder if the extreme heat and my sons body working harder is part of why his BG numbers are coming down?

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Judging by the 99 degree day here, and a couple hours of lacrosse with no fast acting, and the 59 BG...I'd say yes.

5. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Thanks for this post. Taylor has been on running lower then normal and it has been hot here also.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Every summer with the first heat wave, and every winter with the first playable snow, we have to adjust the Lantus.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Yes, we have issues with lows any time there is a major temp change, whether its cold to hot or hot to cold. We just cut back on the bolusing and give more uncovered snacks.

8. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Well... 95+ temps here, the stress of a new job coming up with a move to another state, and packing to move... yeah... this lovely *snort* (NOT) combination resulted in a wonderful second ever "LOW" (under 20 for my OmniPod PDM) BG last night... BOO!

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yes! 95+ heat here for three days now. My son's school is not air conditioned, and I have been picking him up around 11:30 each day (they are having 1/2 days anyway.) He is also armed with one of those hand-held mister/fan things and a bottle of water. Yesterday, figured it would be a good day to let him enjoy Fruit Loops for breakfast...usually not too good for BG. Still, when I went to pick him up, he was in the nurse's office with 49. And he went low a couple of more times yesterday, too.:(