- advertisement -

is it standard to test kids w/d for celiac?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by 3js, Jul 3, 2007.

1. 3js

3js Approved members

we were asked if anyone in the family has it (nope) at dx. our first a1c is this month- I was wondering if they test for it ?

2. DeniseS

DeniseS Approved members

At my son's endo it is standard to test for Celiac disease yearly. That is how we knew he had it, but I suspect he had it long before the diabetes. Also my understanding is that the test is not accurate until they are at least 5 years old

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Our endo also tests all the kids yearly. The first year they started testing everyone, Westin was 1 of 3 in the clinic to have a positive antibody test. Too bad we won the wrong *******!

4. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

They started testing my daughter last year (four years post dx), which is when she tested positive for the antibody (low, but still positive). She was re-tested about three months later and her result rose from .134 to .251. They told me that they typically wait until a result of .50 to suggest biopsy. We are enrolling her in a study where she will receive tests every 6 months.

5. Victoria'sMom

Victoria'sMom Approved members

Victoria was diagnosed at seven-years-old in June 2005 with type 1 diabetes. Her endo immediately tested her for a number of auto-immune disorders. From that initial bloodwork, at our visit in September 2005 she was diagnosed with hypothryoidism - Hashimoto's disease, and referred to a pediatric GI because her celiac blood work was at 189. By the time we scheduled a consultation, more blood work, and finally the endoscopy, it was March 2006, when she confirmed as positive with celiac disease through the biopsy. It was during the second endoscopy in April 2007 that they confirmed she was also lactose intolerent.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  6. 3js

3js Approved members

do your children who have celiac have other problems like asthma,allergies?

i am not familiar with Hashimoto's disease- i`m going to look it up. it seems like a lot of children here are kind of loaded with health issues.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  7. Victoria'sMom

Victoria'sMom Approved members

I only have the one child riddled with all these afflictions - poor girl!! My other two don't even get the sniffles.
    Hashimoto's is a type of thyroid disease - another auto-immune disorder.

8. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Westin did have a bout of asthma, but after a year or so on meds he was released from the pulminologist. Now, this summer, his allergies seem worse, so I am taking him into the dr soon to rule out asthma creating problems again.

9. ampb9755

ampb9755 Approved members

My granddaughter's endo tested for celiac at the same time we found out she had diabities. They have done the small biopsy and confirmed the celiac. We now have to meet with a dietician and learn how to cook for her. Does anyone have an ideas on bedtime snacks. ALyssa was having yougurt and grahams. Now the grahmans are out. We need something to keep her from going low during the night.

10. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

T was tested when dxd with type 1, then a year later. The annual test was high so we went with the endoscopy. I think it is pretty routine test now for kids with type 1.

11. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Not routine at our endo practice. We had to beg for it.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee's endo routinely tests for celiac disease. It was a complete surprise to us because it was always negative, not even questionable, then this year it was postive. they will now keep a very close eye on thyroid issues with her.

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

At the children's hospital I was at, it was standard to check D kids for celiac, but at the adult clinic they refer their aging out patients to, it's not standard. I tested positive the first time (while still in DKA) and negative the second time (a few months ago).