- advertisement -

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Brensdad, Mar 24, 2010.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Fashion over here right now is T-shirts and tights. It started off as short dresses and leggings, which was fine. Then it moved to longer tops and leggings, which looked okay on some people. Then the leggings turned into tights, which was questionable but some girls could sort of pull it off. Now it's normal length tops and tights, and frequently underwear is ENTIRELY visible. :eek: Why, why, why?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I hate anything and refuse to buy anything that has words written across the butt on it!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Me too. Why would I want to call attention to my 3 year old's butt?!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Couldn't agree more with the, 'words on butt' thing. Hate it, hate it, hate it! I've even seen a few schools that put the school name/logo on the rear end. Utter madness.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I thought she looked awful the other night in those shorts! It is sending the wrong message out there to young girls. I also don't think it has to do with her growing up - there are other teen singers out there that haven't gone the "trashy" route - Taylor Swift is one that comes to mind. Then again, why should this surprise us about Miley Cyrus -- does anyone remember the photo shoot she did with her Dad last year, I believe it was? Way too creepy!!

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

She's not the first 17 year old in hollywood to dress that way, and she won't be the last.. she's just dressing the way they all dres.. I do think she dresses better than some of them, at least she's mostly covered up..

I refuse to buy any clothing with words across the butt too.. those words are only there for one reason.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Today at the pediatric ophtamologist's waiting room, I saw2 sisters, maybe around 15 and 17. Both wearing tights, the shiny kind (almost latexy:eek:) with 80s type tops (the kind which leave a shoulder free, kwim?). Well, let's just say the look didn't suit them.;)

Then their mother comes in a few minutes later. Guess what she was wearing?:eek:

Maybe they got a discount on shiny tights and 80s tops.

=====

To the OP

I say we blame Barbie.:rolleyes:

8. chammond

chammond Approved members

I think the 80's should stay put. Why anyone would want to wear that style again is beyond my comprehension.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Many of the girls at maddie's school are ripping the neck out of tee-shirts and sweats, giving us the, "Flashdance" look yet again :rolleyes:

10. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Which is why I am sooooooo happy to have boys!:D

And even they think I am old fashioned and a 'fashion pooper'! :rolleyes: (as long as I am paying for their clothes, I WILL have a say in what I buy them!)

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Lovely.

We've not banned Cartoon Network in our house (there's a rousing episode of Ben10 on right now, in fact), but I have banned the vast majority of Disney. The last thing I want to teach my daughter is that she need only wait for a man to come along and rescue her. The princess crap makes my stomach turn.

12. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Might be a dad thing. Elaine will be 8 next month. She is going to a birthday party tomorrow that includes going to an indoor pool. She tried on a bathing suit that was a 'tankini' - tank top and bikini bottom. Mike says 'she needs more than that covering her!' LMAO I told him it could have been a bikini top. This is the first time he's mentioned her clothes. I think he just realized his little girl is growing up. Maybe you're feeling the same? I like Miley Cyrus but I havent noticed anything different about her clothes. She's growing up too. And Ive made it clear to Elaine that some of the outfits Miley wears on the show may be cute but arent necessarily appropriate for an 8 yr old. Man, I am not looking forward to her teen years!! Mike is gonna be a wreck lol.

13. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

She could also be trying to be a 'normal' 16 yr old girl. One that may rebel against her parents ect. Totally normal. And just a stage. I think given a chance, and ppl remembering that she IS just a 16 yr old girl - famous or not- and cutting her some slack, she may go a long way. Remember ( like I tell my daughter) just because someone you admire dresses or acts a certain way, doesnt mean you need to. :cwds:

14. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I thought I was saved by having boys too, until I had a fashionista...:rolleyes:

I have the same rule on clothes...I buy them and they WILL wear them. Although I did break and allow one pair of skinny jeans :eek:.

I have a 17 year old niece, my DH would have her locked in a tower surrounded by a moat if he had his way.

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

This is why we just allow SpongeBob and Oggy and The Cockroaches to be watched at our house (ok,ok, Barbapapas also).:D (you guys probably have no idea what the last 2 are:eek:)

We prefer intellectual cartoons! Nothing which will distort their vision of the real world or give them unnecessary expectations out of life!!!! No siree!!!

BTW, Alex wants a jellyfish for his aquarium.:rolleyes:

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Another thing that bugs me to no end are the pagents.. WHY have your kid do a pagent if you are going to tan them, give them fake teeth and hair, spend thousands on clothing, that is mighty ugly I might add.. WHY??????? You aren't teaching your child anything except that their looks aren't good enough and everything needs to be fake..

Why must little kids be dressed up like adults? This trend has taken on a whole new level on auction sites like ebay and etsy, they use their children as models and some of them are horrifying.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I have family from all over the country and at x-mas time I'm sometimes shocked by the poses some parents put their daughters in (my cousins and their young daughters, in particular) for family photos. Pretty much, "come hither" poses you'd expect from bad advertising - creeps me out. But then again, I think the best pictures of kids are the unposed sort - when you catch them being who they are, not who they are supposed to be.;)

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

Sarah, I agree with you! Also the pix of some of these girls that they put on Facebook. Um, don't the parents check to see what they are posting??? It baffles me....

19. allisa

allisa Approved members

when I saw her on Idol....I wasn't even sure she was wearing anything on her lower half ! haha....and....she isn't a great singer....poor choice of a mentor on idol....