- advertisement -

Is it hard to get insurance coverage for Bayer Contour Next strips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have heard from the endo that getting insurance to pay for these are a pain. What are your experiences?
    Also, any opinion how their accuracy compares?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We have an Aetna hmo plan thru my husbands employer, and we are getting them covered, but at higher copay. I got a discount card from Bayer for the strips, so now I pay less copay than I would be paying for the "preferred" strips on our plan. I don't know how long the discount card will continue to work though.

3. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Christopher has BCBS and we were notified earlier in the year that the Contour strips were one of just a couple of "preferred" brands they would cover. I don't know what our plan is called, but I know my state employee plan covers different "preferred" strips.

I compared the Contour Next strips to the Accu-Chek strips when we first got the Contours and they were withing a couple of points off. I don't know anything about the reliability of either one, though.

4. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

I have Caremark and they're covered as Tier 3 this year, which is the highest co-pay. But I've already gotten a letter that they won't be covered at all beginning in January.

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Regarding accuracy, my daughter has used accuchek (1 yr), freestyle(1 yr) and one touch (current- 2 years) and I never saw much of a difference.. We've had to change many times because of insurance but months ago, they tried to change it again and my endo wrote a letter so now we have a lifetime approval for one touch.

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

My insurance company dubbed Contour as a "non-preferred" brand, but all I really had to do was get them to do a pre-authorization that signaled my doctor was prescribing those specifically for medical necessity. That was in addition to the endo override needed to get more than the limited number they wanted to supply me.

Of course, my biggest issue was making sure that the doctor Rx was for the Bayer Contour NEXT strips, and not just for the Bayer Contour strips - a common issue. Had to get endo to revise the Rx and then had to get this corrected at the Express Scripts end, as well, to ensure I was actually getting the right strip that was needed/prescribed.

7. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

We have catamaran and the were denied at first but I called and explained that we needed them because it was the meter that communicated with his pump and they approved at the preferred brand price

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My pharmacist scribbled a note to the insurer stating DD needed greater accuracy in testing and that did the trick.

9. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I only tried them because they were less expensive than most other brands for me. Every insurance contracts with different brands, the only way to know is to check your plan.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I just called and our insurance covers them. They said it depends on your insurance not just Express Scripts.