- advertisement -

Is it easy to do tshirts with iron ons?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Oct 21, 2008.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I ordered a computer program (11.99) for iron ons. I checked on my printer and I do not have an advance option for mirror image. Anyway, is it fairly easy to make the design you want, print it on transfer paper and then iron it on? It sounds like it is, but I have never done it. I probably will be making about 25+ shirts or so for our walk in January.

Thanks!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

yup, not to hard.. I just did 20something shirts for our walk.. didn't take very long.. I didn't have to mirror the image because I used iron ons for dark t-shirt so you don't have to mirror it..

3. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

I was going to do our own iron ons but figured I would mess them up. I went to the swapmeet and asked the person at the iron on booth if I printed the transfers would she iron them on. She said that she would for $1.00 each. So then I asked her how much it would cost for her to print it and iron on and she said $6.00 per shirt. So I figured after the cost of the dark transfer paper, ink and time it is well worth it for me to have her do it. They will look good and all be centered properly.

4. zell828

zell828 Approved members

We have key lime for our shirts lol Bright, I know, but it's my SD's favorite color :)

5. Bsbllmom

Usually for any color besides white you need dark transfer paper or any part of your picture that has white in it will be the color of the shirt. So most of the time you will need dark transfer paper.

Our shirts are lime green also.:D

6. Evansdad

Evansdad Approved members

Isn't Minnesota cold in January?

7. Mom to S&S

Mom to S&S Approved members

I printed my own. I ordered the transfer paper from here: http://www.bestblanks.com/transferpapers.html because it was so much cheaper for large quantities. I ordered on a Thursday afternoon, they shipped on Friday, and I had them by Tuesday. They sell in multiples of 25 or 50 so it might not be as cost-effective if you aren’t printing a lot. I was doing front and back of the shirts so I needed quite a few transfer sheets. The Avery and other brands are really expensive for the number of sheets you get in a box. With Best Blanks, it was 38.50 for 50 regular ink jet and 46.50 for 50 of the transfers for dark shirts. The one thing that I will warn you about is that these are a commercial grade transfer sheets. You really have to follow the directions when using your home iron. Luckily, they give very detailed directions. I would practice on an old shirt first to get the hang of it. My first was definitely my worst. It only took about a minute on each transfer once I got the hang of it.

As for the design, that was really easy. My SIL is a graphic designer so she did the design for me and sent the files with the correct DPI and mirrored in a PDF. All I had to do was print. :)

8. zell828

zell828 Approved members

LOL, yes. It's at the Mall of America.

9. LJM

LJM Approved members

I am trying 10 Tshirts with the iron on transfers today. Actually that is what I should be doing now. I think my brother is walking in January at the MOA for my son who lives out here in CA. Maybe we can try to have an excuse to fly that way and participate there too. Our walk is this Sunday. Good luck. I will let you know how the transfers go.

10. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I was going to do it myself but checked with local tshirt printers and ended up getting my shirts for $4 each including the front and back printed which was cheaper then I could get and iron on not to mention the time spent.

11. zell828

zell828 Approved members

What if there is no white in the picture? Do you suggest to still use the dark transfers anyway?

12. DebEMT

DebEMT Approved members

Yes, you definitely need the transfers for dark shirts for anything but white or very light beige. Because those transfers are transparent -- anything darker than white or light beige - and you can't see your transfer because the color of the shirt shows through.

I have been using the transfers for years. I've used a couple different brandds, but usually use Avery that I pick up at Wal-Mart. They are pretty easy to use, as long as you follow the directions.

Good luck!

Deb in Southern Illinois

13. Bsbllmom

Yes I would. I think that the regular transfers are transparent and the dark transfers are opaque.