- advertisement -

irregular periods

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by skyleysmom, Jul 21, 2012.

1. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

Whenever we go to the endo they ask if Riley's periods are regular and the answer is always yes. She has only had it for about a year and has always been pretty regular but she just started it after only about 17 days. Does anybody know why the endo asks this and if I should be concerned?

Thanks.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would ask the Endo why they are asking that question, only they can give you the most accurate answer.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Irregular periods are more common in girls with type 1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21548955

Also pediatric endocrinologists treat children with puberty and growth disorders in addition to diabetes. Many of them include questions about growth, puberty, and symptoms of thyroid disease as part of their standard "review of systems".

4. skyleysmom

Thanks Jill. I understand that the endo can offer the most accurate answer but since we are between appointments at this time, I was hoping someone with some experience would offer some insight.

5. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

One of the most common endocrine disorders in females is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS. Irregular periods is often the first symptom. :cwds:

Christine

6. skyleysmom

Thanks for the info Christine. We will certainly be changing our answer to yes at the next endo visit! ;)

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just remember that one early cycle does not a problem make ;)

8. skyleysmom

Wise words Sarah. Thanks for the much needed dose of logic!

9. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Yes, this is definitely true. And with regard to PCOS, the "irregular" cycles would usually be longer than the usual 28-30 days. In other words, the menstrual period would come less frequently. :cwds:

Christine

10. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Pcos is definitely going longer without periods some go a year but the biggest issue is you never know when it is coming.

11. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Thyroid problems can also mess with periods.. basically it's one symptom with a whole long list of causes, and a fairly easy one to recognize if the patient keeps track.

12. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

I have always had PCOS but never had Diabetes (touch wood). However I do have another autoimmune disease - and yes it is my thyroid. I have Graves Disease. Only this was not diagnosed until I was in my 40s!!! (less than 3 years ago). Its also the reason why my son is an only child. I also had several miscarriages.

Anyway, back when I was 16, I remember going for 6 entire months with no period and my mother being very concerned because I might have been pregnant. I knew I wasnt since I hadnt been with any boy. Then one day its just started again.

My cycle eventually settled down to about every 35 days and it stayed at that for many years. Its only been since I have entered Peri-menopause, that my periods have become irregular again, but since I know why this happens, I am not worried.