- advertisement -

Ironic that I joined yesterday, and today DS had a 57 bg!

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Tamrantula, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Tamrantula

Tamrantula Approved members

DS, 14, came running home from the school bus (a few blocks) and quickly jumped into doing some cleaning up for an hour that he needed to do for a friend to come over to visit.

After he cleaned up, I reminded him to check his Bg, since he clearly had been running when he got home. It was 57. I don't worry too much when it goes low, because we have never had difficulty getting it to come back up.

While I was reading over the forum earlier today, I read a thread about lows their kids had had, and things that had been given to bring the sugars back up. Made me realize that we had gotten lax in keeping supplies available for treating lows. I did notice some frozen OJ in the freezer, but nothing else in the house.

So...when he checked and was low, I told him to get some gel/glucose tabs/juice from his diabetes care bag that he carries to school everyday. Guess what? He had none left! He hadn't thought to mention it, and I hadn't thought to check recently. Bad him, and bad me! LOL

I made the OJ, had him drink some, and he made some cinnamon toast ("cause I am HUUUUUNNNNGRY"--I told him to eat something with protein, and walked out the room....so he made FOUR pieces of toast! Silly boy!)

Anyway, Bg is currently 111--and he is fine, but it was just funny that he dropped the very day I was reading about it, and realizing we had gotten too comfortable lately!

He doesn't feel a difference in his numbers...he has been over 700 (when diagnosed) and as low as mid-30's....and doesn't feel any difference. THAT is the scary part!

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Do you not have a small bag of sugar in the pantry?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, it was a good reminder to stock up on juice and tabs, but in a pinch any sugar will do if they can stomach it - honey, jelly, regular soda etc etc. But it's never a good idea to count on the 14 year old to be the one with the supplies :p

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. Tamrantula

Yep, and he had put it on the toast, with the cinnamon--It just made me realize we had been lax in keeping stocked up on juice/glucose tabs/gel/other quick acting options.

It was an eye-opener, for sure.

5. lisac

lisac Approved members

Just odd to see this number as Hadlee just had a 57 about 2 hrs ago. Only 1 juicy juice left, will have to remember to go to the store tomorrow!!

6. Tamrantula

True! It just kind of slipped through my fingers. Work has been super crazy/stressful (I work as a nurse, day shift in a city an hour drive away, doing in-patient psych.) I had back surgery a few months ago...still having major discomfort...and I have a total of 5 kids at my house...with various medical issues between them.

Not a good reason, but I can forgive myself my forgetfullness knowing we were able to figure out something that worked, and nothing went terribly wrong. I consider it a "learning opportunity!" LOL

A great big, red-letter reminder right between the eyes! LOL

7. Tamrantula

LOL--me too! Gotta make sure I get to the store for those "necessities!"

Didn't realize till I saw the last post and went to check the cupboards, that we are out of honey and jelly, too!

We did have regular sugar, but eating a mouthful of that turns even MY stomach! LOL

He is such a picky eater, that I HAVE to remember to have on hand the things that he WILL eat!

8. lisac

lisac Approved members

Hadlee loves jelly beans, they work really well for lows. We also try to keep the little juice boxes (the kind that are 15g carbs) and glucose tabs. We always let Hadlee pick out the flavor she wants, which she thinks is so cool:D

9. swellman

You don't have to eat a spoon of solid sugar - just dissolve it in water and drink it. I can't imagine any child who wouldn't drink simple sugar water.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Right now is a great time to walk the valentine isle with your kiddo.

BTW allot of people use grapes and bread and pretzels to quickly bring up a low. It does not have to be "pure sugar".

11. swellman

Is there something wrong with "pure sugar"?

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It was only when I tried to use it to treat a low that I realised how truly disgusting sugar water is. :p Maybe that's just me...

13. Tamrantula

When he was first diagnosed, we would keep things in the house for the inevitable lows. Things like skittles, regular soda, juice, m&m's--those type of things. Problem was, he has always been the "sugar-monger." LOVES sweets of any kind...always has! If there is a piece of candy anywhere in someone's house, he would find it.
    So, he would consume the supplies. He would smile at me "Don't worry, I covered it." And, he would just have a little at a time...over and over, without even realizing it I think...till it was gone.

It is hard to keep "goodies" in the house! Plus there are 4 other kids. Not long ago I bought a 24 pack of juice boxes...they were gone in 2 days!

I think we will just have to get a good stock of glucose tabs. I don't think anyone will snack on those! LOL

14. Tamrantula

Sugar water is probably a good option. I usually have sugar in the cupboard, and he can't "snack" that till it is gone. (Yep, before diagnosis, I have caught him with a handful of sugar, eating it plain!)

Cinnamon toast worked well, too...as he puts a fair amt of sugar on it. He doesn't get to eat it all the time, so it was a good treat for him. (I am sure he eats it more often than I think. I go to work before he gets up for breakfast, and he usually beats me home and has something to eat.)

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I do keep glucose tablets, plus I buy lots of skittles and smarties at the end of halloween and store them with the medical supplies (which is kept upstairs in a big box). I keep just a few in his immediate supply box (which is in the main downstairs room) and restock when necessary, that way I know what is being consumed. This stuff is considered medical and not for public consumption.

My D child and everyone else understand that it is considered "medicine" and don't eat it.

I think it's reasonable to talk to the whole family and ask them not to consume the things meant for lows, including your D child. Sweet monger or no, he needs to understand that certain things are not meant for snacking on.

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Sometimes forgetting the supplies, or the supplies getting low happens... there was one time we were out, ran into a fast food place for lunch, and she went low in line.. it was a huge, slow moving line... I didn't think we'd be in there very long so the bag was in the car. Pump started beeping, she started feeling low and was white as a ghost, so I grabbed sugar packets and dumped them in her mouth. Man, did I get some looks.

17. swellman

Same thing happened to us at an amusement park. We both thought the other put the tablets and juice in my man-bag and when he was low there was none. The lines were really long and we needed something fast so I grabbed a hand full of sugar packets and fed him like a little bird. Talk about looks ...

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Honestly, pretzels are the BEST! With that said - I need to buy some more capri sun.

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

Sugar water with ice cubes and a slice of lemon is a real treat for DD.. :cwds: