- advertisement -

iphone apps?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by justink24, Jan 10, 2011.

1. justink24

justink24 Approved members

Hello. My 9 year old son has type I diabetes and was just diagnosed in November. I bought my wife an iphone for Christmas with the intention of getting some apps she could use to easily look up foods and the carbs contained in them. Can anybody recommend some good apps (free preferably, but I would gladly pay for one that has a large food database)? Thank you kindly. Justin

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

3. justink24

Thank you! I was wondering why I couldn't find any calorie king apps but some of the apps were powered by calorie king. I have the book is why it is familiar to me. I will add it to my browser's favorites now. Again, thanks!

4. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I recommend the Lenny app from Medtronic. Food is displayed as pictures. Great for kids.

5. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Calorie counter by caloriecount.com is free.
    Calorie counter by Livestrong is $2.99

6. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I like "Go Meals" and "Restaurant Nutrition". They're both free.
    Go Meals was created by Sanofi Aventis (makers of Lantus), and is based on Calorie King. It's good for meals out as well as grocery and homemade stuff. Restaurant Nutrition is made by Foundation HealthCare Network and lists lots of restaurant chains. Between the two, we're pretty well covered.

7. justink24

Thank you all! It was my son's doctors recommendation to come on here and ask and the response has been tremendous. I appreciate your help very much and once the housecleaning is finished, I will be downloading all of the above. :):)

8. angiej

angiej Approved members

I have also downloaded some too. Thanks to the posters who have shared! Unfortunately the Lenny app is only available in the US :( but the mobile Calorie King looks good as do both of the ones Heather mentioned.

9. CeeJay

CeeJay Approved members

We use Restaurant Nutrition and Insulin Dose Calculator (has a red heart icon), both are free. Also Calorie Counter. Especially now that he is older and on the go on his own so much more, they are a wonderful thing, especially with MDI. Working on the independence with college looming!

10. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

We LOVE GoMeals!

11. 4monkeez

4monkeez Approved members

We use "Carb Finder" for food and "Diabetes Log" for loging #'s on the go and "lenny" as well although their food database is small, you can add your own.