- advertisement -

Iowa test?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by kinder23, Jul 10, 2012.

1. kinder23

kinder23 Approved members

I'm homeschooled and i'm about to go into 9th grade and to get into my high school you have to take the Iowa test and do well in it in order to get into high school and i'm worried i won't pass. I have been doing bad in school this year and i don't think i will pass i think i have to take it in like 2-3 weeks i still have to finsh Algebra and i have a lot of books left to read for social studies. I don't want to fail it but that doesn't seem like enough modivation for me to do my work. It summer vk and i have two other siblings one 16 year old sister and one 7 year old little brother who are home all day. It is really loud in my house to work i don't have my own room to go to. And as u can probably guess i have a lot of my work to do and such little time to do it. I just can't seem to find the motivation i need to get started like i'll be all for doing it but then like after a day i don't want and i just ignore all the work. Maybe i just don't want to do it cause its just too over whelming? I guess im asking for tips? And if you have every had to take the Iowa test before?

ps: sorry if i mispelled anything i am not the world's greatest speller:confused:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Is there a public library nearby? They can be really good places to work.

Other than that, my advice would be to break the work into small chunks. Write the key points for each topic onto a revision card or something, and learn them. Good luck!

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

You can do this. Like Emma said, you can go to the library to work. I know it's summer, but perhaps you should try getting up early and getting to work before your siblings start their noise for the day. If you need to take a break, stick to a time limit, and set an alarm to keep yourself a bit more accountable.
    I know how you feel. I did private school and homeschool for two years, and yes, I did work some over the summer. It was hard to discipline myself, but I got halfway through a year's worth of English before it was all said and done (I did something else as well, but I don't remember what it was!).
    I also can commiserate, as I am doing college classes right now, and it's all at my own pace, and so there are days that I feel like not doing much and going super slow, but I have to discipline myself to do it.

When I studied Algebra, I liked to put the formulas to rhythms. I wish I could give you some tips for History, but all I can think of is to write things down in your own words. Then, it's written how you think, and not the way a history book author thinks.

4. kinder23

kinder23 Approved members

I registered for high school last week and it went great! They didn't make me take a test nor did they say anything about a test. But that doesn't mean they will make me take a test during the school year! But they pretty much let me choose the classes i wanted without giving us a hard time which is fantastic!