- advertisement -

Intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by candise, Feb 12, 2009.

1. candise

candise Approved members

Hi there,
    My name is Candise and my daughter Heaven (11) was diagnosed last Friday. I have 3 other kids who are not diabetic. I have 2 nieces with diabetes so I am very familiar with it; but it stinks so much more when it is your own child- as you all know. We are in the honey moon phase right now and thankfully her #'s are pretty good. I know that this won't last forever- but am enjoying it for now. I am looking forward to learning from all of you pro's out there.
    C-

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

• The "bible" of childhood diabetes, "Understanding Diabetes" (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.

• Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

• Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

• Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Not sure what your school situation is, but here is a link to a thread that has a lot of info about dealing with schools.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=20042

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://chat.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chatreg/LetsChat.jsp

Hang in there :cwds:

4. Katara

Katara Approved members

Nice to meet you

Hi Candice,

As a new parent to this site, I am very glad to meet you.

5. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Hi there. So sorry you had to join our little club here but glad you found us:(:). Hang in there!!

6. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Welcome. I'm new too, and have learned so much already from the experienced parents.

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Welcome Candise and the other new people here. Sorry you had to join us, but this is a wonderful site for info and support.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Candise and welcome to our family. Sorry youve had to join us but I promise we will all be here to support you and Heaven. I know this is not easy but in time things will become more normal for you all. For now be very patient and gentle with yourself and know that you can do this. Heaven is in very good company with many famous and nonfamous people with diabetes from all over the world who are leading very active, healthy and happy lives. Come join us in the parents chat room anytime.

9. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Hi Candise,

Welcome! You've found a great place for support, advice and friendship. Hope to see more of you in the parents forum.

10. TonyCap

TonyCap Approved members

Hi and welcome aboard. :)

11. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Candise,
    I am so sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. I saw your post about studies on the main page and decided not to hijack your other thread. Welcome to our little family.