- advertisement -

Interested to read Sup. Ct. healthcare decision

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by virgo39, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yep, this. I have always agreed that its not perfect. Nothing is, but it can be worked on and improved. It can be made to work for the majority of people. If we can only get the morons in Congress to stop pouting and walking out when things dont go their way and start working together. But yeah, when pigs fly:rolleyes:

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

A disservice? :confused: It's a political cartoon, which have been around since Benjamin Franklin created the first one in 1754.....

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Rather than trivial, I think political cartoons are quite powerful. Rather than silly I think they have a way of focusing keenly on an issue. Rather than cute I think they speak a truth that is sometimes hard to see. Who cares? People who don't need to be reminded to look beyond the cartoons.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, that's sort of the whole point of this particular cartoon....

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Is no one concerned how the US and states are going to pay for all this?

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

We already have been paying for it in terms of supporting people who have no health insurance etc.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Very well said! Imagine that, I am agreeing with Sooz on something. ;)

8. hawkeyegirl

Not as concerned as I am about getting everyone access to affordable health care. If I end up having to pay a little more to get to that point, so be it.

Look, anyone who tells you that they know how this is all going to shake down probably also has a bridge in Brooklyn that they'd like to sell you real cheap. The U.S. healthcare economy is incredibly complex. Will this law make things better? I dunno. But it's something. It's a start. And as much as they like to try to deny it, it was originally a Republican proposal in most respects.

Of course I'm concerned about how we're going to pay for all of this. I live here too. I'm raising my children here, and hopefully some grandchildren someday. In my opinion, withdrawing our troops from all over creation and saving trillions of dollars on wars would be a fine place to start paying for universal access to healthcare, but maybe that's just silly of me. But based on my 39 years living in this country, it always appears to me that when we (collective "we") deem something important enough, we find a way to pay for it.

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  10. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

The cartoon implies conservatives are opposed to it because it's Obama's idea. That's not true. It also rightly points out that we favor the things mentioned in the cartoon, but conveniently excludes the fact that it is a massive tax hike that will put an end to private and group health insurance. I already know of a large company in New Mexico that plans to pay the tax and drop their health plan because it's cheaper to pay the tax than it is to pay premiums. Pity the ACA does nothing to lower the cost of health care, it just "spreads it around a little."

No matter, it will be repealed completely after the November elections I'm sure.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

Why would Obama repeal this? :)

12. hawkeyegirl

Well then, I don't know why everyone is getting so darn upset! By the way, are you as sure that it will be repealed as you were that it was unconstitutional, or a bit more sure than that? ;)

I'm also curious as to why Republicans hadn't already passed a healthcare reform bill with the so-called "bi-partisan" provisions if we're all so in agreement over them.

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

It is really hard for me to understand on a personal level, rather than political or altruistic level, how anyone who has a child with a chronic illness can not support this issue.

14. hawkeyegirl

I realize that Justice Roberts gave the Right a little gift (perhaps in an attempt to make up after kicking them squarely in the balls) by finding this bill constitutional under Congress' taxing authority. Now they can all bleat about the Massive! Tax! Increase! OMG! ad infinitum. But really, this is expected to affect a relatively small percentage of the population (in Massachusetts it has been <1%), and those are folks who can afford health insurance, but choose not to purchase it. Now, I might well be convinced to just go ahead and let those dumbasses die if they got cancer and couldn't foot the bill OOP, but fortunately for them, I'm not running this country, and our society has apparently decided that we don't do things like that. So really, you have to either get these people to buy health insurance, or get some money from them up front so that when they do get cancer, we have the money to save them from their own stupid decision.

The individual mandate is a Republican idea. And Republicans were pretty cheerful about the notion of not extending the payroll tax which would have been a much larger tax increase on the poor and middle class than this bill would have been. There is not a lot of logical consistency here.

15. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

"Massive tax hike" no, not really. And far less expensive than being uninsured is now.

Fact Check:
    http://factcheck.org/2012/06/how-much-is-the-obamacare-tax/

16. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You can support the issue, but not how it was implemented. Yes, everyone should have health insurance, but having this be a national government implementation is not the way to go.

17. hawkeyegirl

What is your proposal for providing universal health insurance?

18. Brensdad

Because it won't deliver better care for all. It will dilute care. If you can convince me that government is a good steward of anything, then I'll consider the possibility it can handle healthcare.

19. Brensdad

Why would they with a ruling pending on the ACA?

20. Brensdad