- advertisement -

Intensive control and complications - 30 year study

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Very encouraging article for those who maintain tight BG control published this week in
    the Archives of Internal Medicine. This is the abstract. The full text article is here:
    http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/169/14/1307?home. I can't publish the
    document here as it is only available for purcase. It contains more graphs, discussion,
    and statistics but the conclusion is fairly clear.

Modern-Day Clinical Course of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus After 30 Years' Duration

Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(14):1307-1316.

Results After 30 years of diabetes, the cumulative incidences of proliferative retinopathy,
    nephropathy, and cardiovascular disease were 50%, 25%, and 14%, respectively, in the
    DCCT conventional treatment group, and 47%, 17%, and 14%, respectively, in the EDC cohort.

The DCCT intensive therapy group had substantially lower cumulative incidences
    (21%, 9%, and 9%) and fewer than 1% became blind, required kidney replacement,
    or had an amputation because of diabetes during that time.

Conclusion The frequencies of serious complications in patients with T1DM, especially when
    treated intensively, are lower than that reported historically.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

3. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

Thank you for posting that Darryl, I didn't see the other posts.

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

5. buggle

buggle Approved members

I thought this was published a long time ago. Did they update the study with new data or something?